Chapter Thirty-Six

"Please Kagami? I know this is asking a lot from you, but it would be a huge help."

Kagami stared at Kyou, wondering how he had managed to get to her classroom so fast. The bell had only rung two minutes ago. And the moment Kagami had stepped out of the classroom, Kyou had been there, panting and out of breath. Apparently, Shiro's mother had agreed to let him go to the host club, but on one condition; Kagami had to go with him. Honestly, Kagami wasn't sure why the woman was so adamant about that. Kagami had never met her before, and yet the woman trusted her with her son? It was crazy!

"Are you sure she wanted me to go with Shiro?" Kagami asked, disbelief thick in her voice. "You didn't hear someone else's name that sounded like mine?"

"Trust me." Kyou said. "I heard her right. Apparently Shiro really likes you, so Aunt Chiyo decided that you would be the best person to take care of her little baby." Kyou rolled his eyes as he spoke.

"Why would I be the best person to take care of Shiro?" Kagami said with a sigh. "Everyone in this school is scared of me!"

"That's what I tried to tell Aunt Chiyo, but she wouldn't believe me." Kyou said with an apologetic shrug. "Look, I know this probably isn't something that you want to do, and I understand. It's just . . . Shiro is already here. He was supposed to start apprenticing with the host club today, and he was so excited." Kyou paused and grabbed Kagami's hand, holding it pleadingly up to his heart. "If you do this for me, I promise that I'll do anything you ask me to!"

"Anything?" Kagami asked, raising an eyebrow deviously. It was really sweet to see Kyou acting so desperate on behalf of his cousin. Obviously, he really cared about him. And Kagami would have said yes without all of the begging, but she wasn't going to pass up a chance to tease Kyou. "Are you sure about that Kyou? Because I could do something incredibly awful."

"I could take anything you dished out." Kyou said, puffing his chest out in an attempt to look brave. It just made him look like a pufferfish. "I'm man enough." Despite his brave statement, Kyou looked a little nervous, so Kagami finally decided to take pity on him.

"Don't be so scared Kyou." She said with a smirk as she gently removed her hand from his grasp. "I'm not going to make you do anything."

"Oh good." Kyou said, letting out a relieved breath. But then a frown overtook his face. "Wait, does that mean you aren't going to go with Shiro to the host club?"

"No, that's not what I mean." Kagami responded. "It just so happens that you already did the one thing that I would have asked you to do for me. Think of this as me returning the favor."

"What?" Kyou said, obviously confused, but then a look of understanding dawned on his face. "Oh. You're talking about the gardening club, aren't you?"

"Yep." Kagami responded. "What else would I be talking about? It's not like you've done anything else for me." She accompanied the last statementwith a cheeky little grin.

Kyou's smile became impossibly wide, and before Kagami had time to react, she was swept up into another one of his hugs. "Thank you Kagami!"

"You're welcome." Kagami grunted. "Now put me down before I change my mind!"

Obediently, Kyou set her back on the floor, the grin on his face never fading. "Come on." He said. "Let's go tell Shiro the good news!"

Kyou grabbed her by the hand and started dragging her down the hallway. Normally, Kagami would have pulled her hand immediately, but she actually didn't mind Kyou touching her. Even when he hugged her, she had been completely fine with it. It was odd, he had managed to become a part of her life so easily. It almost felt like he had always been there. And Kagami didn't like it. She didn't want to get comfortable with someone who wasn't going to be a part of her life for very long, but she couldn't seem to help it. Although it wasn't really like Kyou would leave her alone if she told him to. He seemed to like bothering her. And they were "dating" too, so that wasn't an option. This was really complicated. Kagami decided that she would think about it later when she was alone, and simply allowed herself to be dragged down the hallway by Kyou.