Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kagami sighed as she walked down the hallway. She still couldn't believe that she had actually invited Hotaru over to her house. It was a huge mistake. It would mean the end of everything. After going over, Hotaru would hate her. But Kagami knew that things were going to turn out that way eventually, so it was probably best to get it over with now. Yet at the same time, she really didn't want Hotaru to leave her. She was the only friend Kagami had, and losing her would be painful. But Kagami would deal with it, just like she did with everything else in her life. She would pretend she was okay and eventually, everything would go numb.

"Kagami!"

Turning around, Kagami saw Hotaru running towards her.

"I called out to you about five times but you didn't hear me." Hotaru panted as she tucked a strand of soft brown hair behind her ear.

"Sorry." Kagami apologized sheepishly. "I was thinking about something."

"That's okay." Hotaru smiled. "Although I have to say, it's rare to see you so spaced out."

"I can't be perfect all the time." Kagami replied with a shrug.

Hotaru smiled up at her, a teasing light in her green eyes. "What? You? Not being perfect all the time? I don't believe it."

Kagami rolled her eyes and smiled. "Come on, if you want to make your appointment with Honey, we should head over to the host club now."

"Okay." Hotaru said cheerfully.

As they walked down the halls, Kagami couldn't help but wonder if today would be the last day she would go to the host club. A few weeks ago, she would have seen that as a good thing, but now, it made her heart squeeze painfully because she would be alone again. Although the twins would probably still bother her in class, but it wouldn't be the same.

When they got to the club room, Kagami forced her melancholy thoughts from her mind. She didn't want it to show on her face that she was bothered about something, especially not in front of Hikaru and Kaoru. They would hold it against her for weeks. So, pulling her shoulders back, Kagami entered the clubroom with Hotaru looking just as calm and aloof as she always did.

The first person she saw was Haruhi. She was talking to two of the girls who seemed to be her regulars. Kagami felt kind of bad for them since they really seemed to like Haruhi. If they ever found out she was a girl, they would be crushed. Not that Kagami felt any need to do anything about that. The girls were having fun for now, they could deal with the disappointment if it ever came.

Moving past Haruhi, Kagami and Hotaru walked over to where Mori and Honey were sitting. And Kagami almost groaned when she realized that they were really close to where Kaoru and Hikaru were seated. There was a good chance that they would be able to hear what the twins were saying to their customers. And Kagami really didn't want to spend her afternoon listening to their horrible dialogue. The whole twincest thing didn't appeal to her at all, especially not between Hikaru and Kaoru. It made her want to hit them when they did it in front of her.

"Hota-chan! Ka-chan! You came to visit today!"

Kagami turned to see Honey smiling cheerfully at them. Hotaru blushed like always and tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ear shyly.

"Hello." She replied in her soft voice.

"I'm so glad you came!" Honey continued. "I just got some new sweets from France that I thought you would really like Hota-chan!"

"Really?" From the gleam in her eyes, Kagami could tell that Hotaru was definitely interested. "What are they? What patissiere did you get them from?"