Chapter Forty-Four

As she walked down the hallway, Kagami  stifled a yawn that was trying to force its way out. She hadn't gotten nearly enough sleep last night, and it was all because of Mori. Every time she had closed her eyes, she remembered the gentle kiss he had placed on the back of her hand, and the words he spoke would start echoing in her head. She had spent hours lying awake because of that, attempting to forget what had happened, but only ending up thinking about it even more. Kagami still didn't know what Mori had meant, and that bothered her. And the fact that she was bothered by his actions bothered her even more. She was supposed to have her emotions under control. Something as simple as a kiss on her hand shouldn't have upset her so much. Fortunately, she still had enough control over herself that no one else was able to see the turmoil her thoughts were in.

As she approached Music Room 3, Kagami attempted to push her thoughts about Mori to the back of her mind. If she didn't have her emotions under control by the time she walked through the door, and Mori happened to be there, she knew she would betray her distress in some way. Probably not enough for anyone else to notice, but Mori always seemed to be able to catch even her smallest slip-ups, and she really, really didn't want him to know how much his actions had affected her.

Opening the doors to Music Room 3, Kagami made sure that not even the slightest trace of emotion was on her face. She didn't even show a hint of relief when she ascertained that Mori was nowhere in the room. And she stubbornly refused to acknowledge the slight twinge of disappointment that came with that revelation.

"Hey Kagami!" Kyou called as he walked over to her. "You took your sweet time getting here

"Only so that I could avoid spending more time with you than necessary." Kagami replied.

"I know you're just being shy." Kyou said with a grin as he gave a soft tug on her ponytail. Apparently, this was going to be a constant thing with him. "You love spending time with me."

"Oh?" Kagami said with a raised eyebrow. "Then why is it that you're the one who comes to find me every day during lunch? I'd say that you're the one who loves spending time with me."

The astonished expression on Kyou's face was enough to bring a triumphant grin to Kagami's face. 

"I think Kagami wins that round Kyou." Kagami turned to see Shiro looking at them with a smirk on his face.  He was sitting on a couch next to Hotaru. Kagami hadn't wanted Hotaru to end up eating lunch by herself, so Kagami had asked her if she wanted to come to the music room instead. 

"She usually does." Hotaru added in. "I've never met anyone who is as good at arguing as Kagami."

"I'm not sure whether I should take that as a compliment or not." Kagami said.

Hotaru's only response to that was a far too innocent smile.

And that was when Kagami realized that the room was distinctly lacking an obnoxious, overly enthusiastic blond. He definitely wouldn't have allowed a conversation to go on for so long without making himself the center of it.

"Where's Tamaki?" She asked. "He should have gotten here long before I did." Music Room 3 was between the third year classes and the second year classes. So Kagami, a first year, had the longest distance to walk to get there.

"No idea." Kyou replied with a shrug.

"He'd better get here soon." Shiro grumbled. "I don't have time to waste waiting for him."

Kagami could see the irritation and impatience in Shirou's eyes. So it was probably a good thing that Tamaki entered the room after only a few seconds.

"Sorry I'm late!" He exclaimed. "I got stuck in the classroom."

"Did you have trouble finding the door?" Kagami asked. "I understand that can be quite difficult for certain people."