Chapter Twelve

Kyou Fukui. His name kept echoing in her head. Kagami couldn't believe that her father expected her to win the affections of someone she didn't even know. She couldn't even get her parents to like her so how was she supposed to manage it with a complete stranger? Besides, she didn't want a fiance! After her father's announcement at dinner, Kagami had spent most of the night pacing up and down in her room trying to find a bright side to the situation. It was more than possible that Kyou Fukui would simply dislike her as soon as he saw her. That's what happened with most other people. But it was also likely that his father wanted the match for political reasons so that even if he disliked her he would still agree to the engagement.

All through class that morning she had been desperately trying to think of a way to make sure that no matter what, Kyou Fukui would refuse to get engaged to her. However, her plan would have to be subtle enough that her mother wouldn't realize what she was doing. It was lunchtime now and Kagami had come up with absolutely nothing. With frustration welling up inside of her she picked up her bag and walked out of the room. She was supposed to meet Hotaru in the courtyard but Kagami needed to calm herself down first. If she saw Hotaru in the state she was currently in, Kagami knew she wouldn't be able to keep her emotions off of her face. And she didn't trust Hotaru enough yet to confide in her.

So Kagami decided to walk around the school for a couple of minutes in order to compose herself. Pulling up a map of the school in her mind, Kagami decided that the best route for her purpose would be to go past the library and then towards the third year classrooms. Then she could go to the courtyard straight from there and she wouldn't be so late that Hotaru would start worrying about her.

With that decided, Kagami started walking towards the library. As she walked she tried pushing the whole fiance situation to the back of her mind. It took a little bit of trying, but she was finally able to concentrate on something other than Kyou Fukui. By the time she had accomplished this, Kagami was already walking by the third year classrooms. And since she was no longer distracted, she was able to pick out the sound of soft, hissing voices that were somehow familiar to her.

Kagami slowed her steps and listened harder to the voices. They were coming from up ahead, in the same area where Kagami had found Hotaru being bullied on that first day of school. Of course! Now she knew where she had heard those voices before! They belonged to those three awful girls who had been bullying Hotaru. Kagami couldn't help but wonder who their victim was this time. But then she heard Hotaru's voice too and it took all of her self control not to run down the hall and tackle those girls to the ground.

Instead, Kagami forced herself to walk silently down the hallway. Once she could clearly hear what was being said she stopped and pressed herself against the wall. Before she jumped in and rescued Hotaru, she wanted to know what those stupid girls were teasing her about just in case there was anything she could do to help.

"I can't believe you're actually planning on going to the Host Club's dance this weekend!" That voice belonged to the snobby blond who seemed to be the leader of the group.

"Why shouldn't I go?" Hotaru asked. Her voice was firm and strong. Unlike last time, she wasn't backing down an inch. "Everyone in the school has been invited to attend."

"Yes, well, even though everyone has been invited that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone should actually go." The blond let out an annoying giggle. "You'll just embarrass yourself if you go Hotaru. After all, no one would want to be seen with you. You'll spend the entire time in a corner by yourself looking pathetic. Or Honey might take pity on you and ask you to dance, but I would feel so sorry for him for having to be seen with someone as worthless as you."

Kagami felt her hands tighten into fists. She wanted to walk out and give those girls a piece of her mind. Hotaru was not worthless! How dare they lie about her like that!