Chapter Thirty

By the time they reached the garden, Kagami could barely stand she was shaking so badly. She still couldn't believe that Hotaru was still here. The thought that Hotaru might not believe her mother's lies had never even crossed her mind. Just to make sure that she wasn't dreaming, she turned around to confirm that Hotaru was actually here. And sure enough, Hotaru was standing behind her, the anger still blazing in her eyes.

"You . . . didn't believe my mother." Kagami said, disbelief thick in her voice.

"Of course I didn't!" Hotaru seethed. "I know you better than that Kagami! The things she said about you made me furious! No wonder you didn't want me to come over today if your mother does that to all your friends! Ugh! Just thinking about it makes me want to go back inside and shake your mother for being such a terrible person! I can't believe I actually thought she was a good person! I'm never watching another movie with Midori Himura in it again! And I'm going to burn the poster I have of her in my room! Why did I waste five dollars on that garbage?"

Listening to Hotaru rant, a broad grin lit up Kagami's face. Suddenly, she threw her arms around the older girl, cutting off her tirade and causing her to emit a startled squeak.

"Thank you." Kagami said, her voice suddenly as shaky as the rest of her. "I seriously thought I was never going to see you again after today."

Kagami felt Hotaru wrap her arms around her, returning the embrace. "That's not going to happen." She said fiercely. "In fact, you're going to see so much of me that you'll be sick of me!"

Kagami laughed and pulled away, letting her arms fall. "I'm really lucky that I have you as a friend Hotaru."

"Thanks," Hotaru replied, "but the lucky one is me."

Still shaking slightly, Kagami decided to sit down before her legs gave out on her. She flopped down onto one of the white chairs next to the table in the garden. Hotaru sat down next to her, the angry look still lingering on her face.

"I still can't believe you stood up to Midori like that." Kagami said, a grin lighting up her face as she thought about it. "The look on her face was priceless!"

"She just made me so angry!" Hotaru huffed. "How could someone speak like that about their own daughter?"

Kagami shrugged. "She just doesn't have enough room in her heart to love anyone besides herself."

"That . . . "Hotaru trailed off, a sad look in her eyes, "that has to be one of the most awful things I've ever heard! I'm so sorry Kagami! Having a mother like that must be terrible!"

"I'm used to it." Kagami said with another shrug.

"Well, you shouldn't have to be!" Hotaru exclaimed, once again furious.

For some reason, seeing Hotaru so upset for her sake got rid of any anger Kagami had been feeling. She had never had someone get so upset on her behalf and it was . . . nice. A smile lit up her face.

"I'm really okay Hotaru." Kagami said, patting the older girl's hand reassuringly.

"Hmph." Hotaru replied, obviously still upset.

Deciding it was time for a distraction, Kagami gestured around her. "How do you like my garden? I picked out every flower that was planted here myself."

Now that she wasn't quite as angry, Hotaru was able to turn her attention to the garden around her. As she looked, Kagami saw her eyes widen in delight. "Kagami . . . " she said breathlessly, "this is beautiful! I've never seen so many blue flowers all in one place before!"

"Thank you." Kagami replied, extremely pleased that Hotaru liked her garden. "This place has always been special to me. I come here whenever I need to be alone."