Chapter Forty-Nine

When Kagami's alarm went off, she felt like she was trying to make her way out of a thick fog. Everything felt fuzzy, and her head was pounding. As she fumbled for her phone, for once in her life, Kagami was actually tempted to press the snooze button. She felt absolutely awful. 

As soon as Kagami stood up, a wave of dizziness washed over her, and she had to put her hand against the wall in order not to fall over. Apparently her morning jog was going to be out of the question today. Maybe a nice long shower to try to clear her head would be a better idea. In fact, the more her head was pounding, the more a hot shower was sounding like a good idea.

Kagami grabbed a change of clothes and then stumbled out of her room, trying not to let her dizziness overcome her. She straightened up as soon as she entered the hallway though, since she knew there would be people wandering about, cleaning and getting things ready for the day. And of course, as luck would have it, the first person she stumbled across was Hiroto.

"Good morning Miss Kagami." He said dourly.

"Hiroto." Kagami said with a small nod. The nod was a mistake. It made her head hurt more and things were starting to spin again.

"I've decided not to go on a jog this morning." She continued once her world settled down slightly.

"I see." Hiroto responded, and Kagami was pretty sure she heard some judgement in his voice, but she really didn't care.

Kagami stalked past Hiroto and managed to make it into the bathroom before her shoulders slumped and she put her head in her hands. She had been sick before, but Kagami didn't think she had ever felt as awful as she did in that moment. If skipping school were an option, she would crawl back into bed and go back to sleep. But her father would be furious with her, and he would never allow her to miss a day of school anyways, so she would just have to suffer through it. Kagami really, really hoped that a hot shower would help.

*******

School hallways were absolute torture. There was so much noise. Everyone was talking, and laughing, and Kagami just wanted to kill them all. They quieted down and looked absolutely terrified, more so than usual, as she walked by, and Kagami knew it was because she had a fierce glare on her face, but she was only glaring so fiercely because everything was spinning and she was concentrating really hard on not falling over. Otherwise she wouldn't have had the energy to waste on glaring at people.

Somehow Kagami managed to make it to the classroom without either killing someone or collapsing in the hallway. She considered that to be a pretty great accomplishment. Now Kagami just had to make it through the rest of the day without giving away how awful she felt.

Pulling out a book, Kagami opened it to a random page and bowed her head. She wasn't actually going to read since the words were starting to blur together slightly, but hopefully, everyone, and two people in particular, would get the message that she didn't want to be bothered and they would leave her alone.

Unfortunately, as they had proven over and over again, Hikaru and Kaoru were absolutely terrible at reading signals that weren't written on large signs in large, capital letters. And even then, they probably would have just ignored the signs anyways.

"Good morning Kagami!" Two far too loud, far too cheerful voices said.

Any other day, Kagami would only have been slightly annoyed, but because of the way she was feeling, the sound of their voices filled them with dread. Kagami barely managed to muster up the energy to look up at Hikaru and Kaoru and give them a half-hearted glare.

"What are you reading?" Hikaru asked, completely unperturbed by Kagami's scowl.

"A book." She responded, and she tried to put sarcasm in her voice, but she was so tired that it completely lacked energy.