Chapter Three

Finally, school was over. Kagami had to hold back a sigh of relief as she put her things in her backpack. It was only the first day of school and yet she had talked to more people in one day than she usually talked to in a week. Not only that, they were all really annoying too. If the rest of the school year turned out the same way, Kagami would have to be even meaner than usual. It would be a lot of work, but as long as people stayed away from her it was worth it.

Once all of her things were put away, Kagami headed out of the classroom. She received a lot of sideways glances from the other students, but she didn't mind. In fact, Kagami was almost happy about it. Some of her classmates had recognized her from middle school and word had spread about her reputation for being mean and cold to anyone who approached her. Because of that, no one in her class apart from the twins had tried to talk to her all day. Kagami only wished that people outside of her class would do the same.

The meeting with that blond boy at lunch was instantly pulled to the front of her mind. Just thinking about it made Kagami frown. She really hoped that he would take his friends advice and leave her alone. Kagami didn't like dealing with people like him. He was so energetic and confident, the exact opposite of Kagami, and she really didn't want to talk to him again.

She was so lost in her thoughts that Kagami wasn't paying attention to where she was going. Before she knew it, she was walking down the third year's hallway. Fortunately, she had memorized a map of the school and knew another way to the entrance from here, so she just kept walking. Since most of the students had already gone home, the halls were even quieter than they had been during lunch.

Because of this, Kagami was a bit surprised when she turned a corner and heard soft voices. She was tempted to turn around and walk away, but she was too close to the entrance to do that now, so she kept walking and hoped that this time she wouldn't have to talk to anyone. She turned a corner and what she saw made her stop in her tracks.

Three girls were standing in a half-circle around another girl who was backed up against the wall. The girl against the wall looked terrified, and it didn't take long for Kagami to figure out what was going on. Bullying. Kagami's fists tightened in anger. She hated bullying. It brought back memories of her childhood, and that was something she would rather not remember.

She had to do something. Thinking fast, Kagami tried to come up with a way that she could help out the girl without looking like she was doing it on purpose. Kagami couldn't just sit back and watch someone being bullied, but she also couldn't let anyone know that she cared. Then people would know that she wasn't as mean as she pretended to be.

That was it! A tiny, dangerous smile lit Kagami's face as an idea popped into her head. She didn't have to be nice to help that girl, in fact, things would go a lot better if she was mean! Now that she knew what she was going to do, Kagami strode forward purposefully with an icy look in her eyes.

As she got closer, Kagami made sure that her footsteps echoed loudly enough for the girls to hear her. They all looked up at her except for the girl who was being bullied. She kept her head down and looked like she wanted to disappear. Seeing that made Kagami even angrier than she had been before.

"What are you doing here? This is the third year's hallway." A blond girl who appeared to be the one in charge asked the question.

"I didn't realize that walking down a hallway was a crime." Kagami spoke in icy accents. "I'm just trying to get to the front entrance, so move out of my way."

Just as she expected, the girls didn't appreciate being treated that way. The blond girl stiffened up and started to glare at her. "You can't talk to me that way! You're obviously younger than me, so remember to treat me with respect! I am your senpai after all."