Chapter Forty-Seven

The beach. She was actually at the beach. Kagami stared at her surroundings, her deep blue eyes open wide, the only outward sign of her awe. The sand went on for miles in a pale, white, glowing stretch littered with shells, rocks, and other objects just begging to be explored. Clear blue water lapped at the shore, the waves making sounds Kagami had secretly played on her phone before, pretending that she was actually at the ocean, but none of it compared to the real thing. And the smell of salt and sand and water, it was just amazing! 

"Wow." Hotaru said with a grin. She was wearing a cute mint green two piece that accentuated her figure. Kagami herself was wearing a gray and red one piece, but after her experience at the water park, she had decided to wear denim shorts and a red cover-up over her swimsuit as well.

"I don't think I've ever seen you looking this excited about anything before Kagami. Except when you were telling me about how you pretended to curse Hikaru and Kaoru." Hotaru said with a smile. 

Kagami had told her friend about her little revenge plan the day after she had finished her plan. Hotaru had thought the whole thing was hilarious, and hadn't stopped laughing about it for hours. 

Hotaru continued. "If I had known that you had never been to the beach before, I would have taken you a long time ago, especially if it meant I got to see that look on your face."

Although she knew she had been masking her excitement fairly well, Kagami knew that Hotaru could read her like an open book at this point. She gave a rueful grin. "I just can't help it." She said. "The beach is so much more amazing than I imagined it would be. I mean, I've seen pictures, but they don't do the real thing justice."

Hotaru stared out at the beach thoughtfully. "No, I suppose they don't." She said. And then the brunette gave Kagami an excited grin. "Since this is your first time at the beach, I'm going to make sure that you have the best time ever!"

"Thanks Hotaru." Kagami said with a smile, and then a teasing glint entered her eye. "But since you're here, I'm already having the best time ever."

The older girl laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Wow." A teasing voice said from behind Kagami.

"If we're not careful, we might end up losing our jobs to you." Another voice added in.

Rolling her eyes, Kagami turned to face Hikaru and Kaoru. "If I was trying to steal your jobs, not even caution would be able to keep them from me. Fortunately for the two of you, flirting with women is not something that appeals to me as a daily past time."

"So you say." Kaoru said.

"But you seem to flirt with Hotaru an awful lot." Kaoru added in.

Kagami gave them a sweet smile and put an arm around Hotaru's shoulders. "She's special." She replied.

Hikaru and Kaoru looked confused and Kagami laughed. "Stop thinking so hard." She said. "I can practically feel your brains hurting."

The twins huffed, looking offended.

"You know what?" Hikaru said. "If you think you're so much better than us,"

"Then why don't you prove it?" Kaoru asked.

Kagami raised an eyebrow, her interest piqued. "Go on." She said.

"We challenge you to a volleyball match!" Hikaru and Kaoru declared.

A volleyball match? Kagami had never played before, but she was sure that after she had the rules explained to her, she would get the hang of it. And she would enjoy creaming the twins at yet another thing.