Chapter- 2

Chapter- 2

(Ayanokouji's POV continued)

"Ayanokouji-kun, Horikita-san, do you guys have time to spare after this?" Ichinose asked eating  the cake. I didn't have much to do anyways so I didn't mind gaining more experience for this.

Hirata wasn't asked, apparently he was a constant in her equation.

"Yeah."

"What for?" Horikita asked.

"Ehh, Hirata and I had pre ordered food for the celebration tonight. If you haven't had your dinner yet then why not have it with us?" Ichinose extended the offer.

"Okay."

"And what if I say no?" Horikita asked.

"Nyahaha, then I guess the three of us will have to eat your share. But it won't take much time. I will go and bring the food right away! After all, we can celebrate with Ayanokouji-kun only once a year" Ichinose tried convincing Horikita.

"Hmmm, not more than thirty minutes though." Horikita gave her a small leeway.

"Aight! Here I go!" Ichinose stood up but I stopped her.

"Wait, I will go and get the food." I said. At this point, them doing so much for me just doesn't feel right.

"No,no,no. Birthday boys don't work on their birthday." Ichinose taught me like a small kid.

"Uh. .but-"

"Ichinose, let it be. I will go with him and we will bring it faster than you." Hirata came to rescue his fellow teammate.

"Hmmmm, oki if you say so." There was a mutual understanding between those two. Hirata got out with me.

It was getting chilly, both of us wore full shirts since sweaters would be an overkill.

"Busy day, huh?" Hirata asked as we passed the lobby.

"Nah, it was pretty plain like other days until now."

"What? Didn't you get super popular after winning that relay?"

"My non-existent popularity is still a far cry even compared to your state right now."

"Still, there would be people approaching you today right?" Hirata moved on to the topic of my birthday.

"I am not proud to admit it, but you guys are the first one."

"I see, we chose a time towards evening, thinking that you would be busy during the day."

"Well that wasn't the case."

"Damn, now I think we should've come to your house earlier in the afternoon."

"I don't mind either of the time." While I wanted to say I was expecting them in the afternoon, I refrained from doing so to avoid throwing light on my situation.

We both reached the pallet cafe and Hirata went ahead to receive the order. It was already prepaid or else I would've paid the bill.

While walking back there was an awkward silence between us, however as we came out of the Keyaki mall Hirata stopped.

"Ayanokouji, now that we are alone I would like to ask you once again," I turned around to look at him.

"Do you really want to join me?"

"Why do you doubt it now?" Given the fact that he had talked to Ichinose beforehand about the party, I had tentatively assumed that the part of recruiting me was also scripted.

"Because at that time it seemed like Ichinose employed you forcefully to keep an eye on me." But that doesn't seem to be the case.

"Didn't you guys discuss it already?"