Chapter-11 (Cards)

Chapter- 11 (Cards) (Ayanokouji's POV) 

It was an hour before lights out. Chattering voices filled our room. I sat in a group discussion between students of different classes with nothing much to contribute; I sat in silence listening to their views.

Students from Class A and Class B were there with us. Yuukimura had decent debate skills but that didn't equal social skills; hence, the one helping us fit into this discussion was Makida.

A good talent for breaking ice, small talk, self introduction and so on... he wasn't smart, yet he had a comfortable personality.

Out of my line of sight Koenji was still doing pushups. He had been exerting himself continuously. I picked up my phone to check on him. He showed no signs of fatigue.

On the bunker bed above Ryuuen, sat Kaneda looking at some sort of paper. I assume it is the breakfast menu which we will soon have to prepare. Below him, Ryuuen laid back on his bed with his hands interlocked behind his head, resting with his eyes closed.

Soon when the group was formed, through his intimidation, he established peace. Even though we didn't want to cozy up to other classes, when faced with a common enemy like him, the students opposing him naturally feel a little close to each other.

This exam invited an inevitable collision, even though planned I felt I have made a fatal error. After meeting that man, I can safely conclude that the manipulation Chabashira built was based on a lie.

Thinking about how she had an insight of my situation, I can only fathom a few possibilities. Chairman Sakayanagi might have a few answers for me. I wanted to ask him back then but he was in no state of answering such questions.

Had I known that Chabashira was bluffing, I would've avoided my display of abilities at any cost. What was lost now was the prospect of a normal school life, the one I had envisioned when boarding the bus to ANHS.

It's too late to ponder on the past now. The way the current situation is progressing, it won't be surprising for someone to just knock on the door and tell Ryuuen: Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is the one you're searching for.

But I am prepared for it anywa-

Knock Knock

"..........."

"Who is it? At a time like this." Doesn't seem like anyone knows and so everyone curiously looked at the door.

Yuukimura got up and started walking while asking who's knocking. The person on the other side truly is someone unexpected.

"Are you guys still up?" asked Nagumo.

"No." Ryuuen announced while still lying on his bed.

"Yes, yes. Can we help you with something?" Yuukimura, recovering from the shock, covered up swiftly.

"I came to check on you guys since we're in the same group. Can I come in?"

"Yes, please."

Nagumo was accompanied by Vice President Kiriyama as well as two 3rd year students. One of them is a student from Class B named Tsunoda and the other, Ishikura, is also from Class B.

Before this test, the elder Horikita had mentioned Kiriyama as an ally. Assuming he has informed Kiriyama about me, I must tread carefully right now.

Upon entering the room, Nagumo surveyed his surroundings. The two students from third years looked at me for a moment then averted their gaze. Kiriyama did his best to avoid any eye contact, while Nagumo didn't seem much interested in any first year at the moment.