CHAPTER ONE

disclaimer — the first couple chapters are really bad imo and i haven't gotten a chance to properly edit them

chapter one
(pre-anchors)

Sofia Calavera lied motionless on the cold tile floor. At this point, it seemed like things would never change for the better. For the fifth time this week, she slowly turned onto her back to assess her injuries.

Warm crimson blood dripped down the side of her cotton grey tank top. The Mexico heat causing sweat to build up all over her body. Sofia looked down at her bloody hands and then over to the source. The dead body lies still at her feet.

For the fourth time this week, she took a life unwillingly. For the fourth time this week, she escaped the burning of the electrical current rushing through her skin.

          "Severo," Sofia called out with a hoarse voice. She slowly brought herself into a seated position against the wall. "Hey jackass," she grunted a little louder.

          As hard as she tried, Sofia's eyes kept wandering back to the deceased man in the room. His headless body soaked in a puddle of blood. The poor soul who's only crime was being cursed with lycanthropy. Wrong place, wrong time.

          The sound of the metal doors scraping against the floor broke Sofia's train of thought. She looked up only to meet the eyes of her beloved uncle.

"Why the long face, mi sobrina," the man laughed down at her. Her only response was to turn away as she rolled her eyes. Severo inspected the scene before him with a hint of humor.

"Don't fucking call me that," she spat angrily as he walked closer to her. He bent down and his eyes moved from the dead body to his niece.

          "Good work," he paused briefly as a smug smile crossed his face. "Next time, less hesitation."

          Horror washed over Sofia's face, as she understood what he meant. She had killed the man. But she hadn't killed him right. She hesitated before decapitating him. Scratch that earlier statement, she would only escape the electric current three times this week.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"Well, well, well, look who finally decided to make an appearance," Araya's thick accent broke the tension in the room. "By the look on your face I assume today's session went well."

          "I killed him abuela, there's nothing more to it," Severo quietly chuckled at Sofia's words. "Was I talking to you," she spat at the man.