CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

chapter thirty one( pre - anchors )

chapter thirty one
( pre - anchors )

Mexico — 1995

"I can't do it," an eight-year-old Sofia whined in fear.

Araya looked between the young girl with the metal baton and the newly captured beta wolf that was chained to the wall. "Sofia. Hit the man."

Sofia felt the slightest sense of a tear forming, "No. That's mean."

"What did I tell you?" Araya frustratedly grabbed the weapon from her tiny hands. After a small silence, the older woman repeated herself, "What. Did. I. Tell. You."

Sofia sniffled, "We hunt those who hunt us."

Araya crouched down to her level, "Exactly. This man tried to hurt us, do you know what he gets in return?"

Sofia slowly nodded her head, eyes on the ground. Araya observed the young girl before standing back up. She took a second before backhanding the werewolf in the stomach with the baton.

Sofia winced at the sound and turned her head away. She had only recently been brought into the "family business".

Araya shook her head, slightly disappointed in the youngest Calavera. Yes, she knew Sofia was only a child. But Mireya had excelled from such a young age.

"Go back upstairs mija, just.." Araya let out a strangled sigh, "Just go."

Sofia was quick to exit the room as Severo made his way inside. He observed the room, assuming what happened, "She couldn't do it?"

Araya kept her eyes on the unknown man tied up, "No."

Severo snickered, "Makes sense. She's not even a Calavera. Not one drop of our family or responsibilities running through her veins. I told you this wouldn't work out."

Without hesitation, Araya slapped her son across the face, "You shut your mouth Severo."

"That is my granddaughter and your niece. Blood or not. It was sworn off to never be mentioned again," Araya's thick accent rang in a hushed tone.

"Never. Mention. Again."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Mexico — 2010

"I'm going out to meet Braeden," Sofia called out through her grandmothers office.

"Why must you always spend your free time with that woman," Araya said as she moved back to the desk.

Sofia's eyes squinted, "Am I not allowed to have any semblance of fun? Or does that go against one of your many rules?"

"You can have fun here. You always choose to spend time away from this place. This is your family, Sofia. You can't always run away," Araya shook her head.

Sofia fought the urge to roll her eyes, "I always come back, don't I?"

"Just make sure you're back for training tonight," Araya looked back at the papers on her desk.

Sofia turned and left the room, muttering to herself, "I'm 23-years-old but I get a curfew from my fucking grandmother."

Sofia knew she would always be stuck in Mexico. She knew this was her family. No matter how different she wished things could be.

"Sofia, wait up," a deep voice called out from down the hall.

Sofia paused her steps and looked around. She noticed a boy named Jayce walking towards her. Jayce was one of the few who were brought into the Calavera clan by choice.

"Where are you heading off to?" Jayce asked as he stepped into rhythm with Sofia.

"Uh, meeting a friend for drinks," was all she said.

Jayce placed a hand on Sofia's arm to stop her, "Can I join you?"

Sofia paused for a moment to glance at the man, "No."

Jayce tried to laugh it off, "Alright. What about tomorrow? Do you have plans?"

Sofia sighed, "Listen, Jayce. I don't have time for this nor do I want it to happen."

"Am I that bad?" The man joked.

"I have to go, I'm running late," Sofia quickly said before walking out of the compound.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

haleshoe is typing...

SORRY IK THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE UPDATE YALL WANTED BUT DEREK AND SOFIA WILL BE RETURNING SOON HOPEFULLY

so i originally wasn't gonna even introduce this whole new twist until the very end of season 4 but i just couldn't wait sooo

thank you for reading!
hope you enjoyed <33