CHAPTER FORTY

chapter forty( smoke and mirrors )

chapter forty
( smoke and mirrors )

          Sofia wiped away the tear streaks as she listened to her grandfather, "So my mother never knew? She died thinking he just left."

"Not quite, young one. I was finally able to contact your mother one night. I had been trying for almost a decade. She learned the truth after almost shooting me," Jialiang smiled at the memory.

Sofia sniffled, "That's why she died, isn't it? My grandmother, or not grandmother I guess, found out and killed her before she could run away, right?"

Jialiang nodded with a somber expression, "Unfortunately. I tried to save her but Araya's men got there first."

Tears sounded once more as Sofia lost any words to reply with. Derek had left the two alone and met with Scott. Jialiang watched the young girl in pain.

"You know," he spoke, gaining her attention, "You remind me so much of your mother. She was stubborn when it came to the hard truths. All she cared about in the end was her true family. Those she gave love to."

Sofia laughed in between sobs, "Did she really try to shoot you?"

Jialiang smiled, "Of course she did. Where do you think you get it from? She had gone on for years thinking that my son had abandoned the two of you. I was the last person she wanted to see."

"Why didn't you do anything sooner?"

"I couldn't," the older man sighed. "After everything with your father, I fled. Araya always had men tracking me, waiting for me to make a move. When one of my men heard that someone from the Calavera clan had actually managed to escape, I knew it was you. And I knew I had to find you."

After a minute or so, Sofia managed to dry her eyes a little, "Wait. Your men?"

"You didn't think the Calavera's were the only strong foundation out there, did you?"

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Sofia spent almost an hour listening to Jialiang's stories. He told her all about the different branches of their organization across the world. She had family out there waiting for her. She mattered to people she never knew existed.

"They're everywhere, my dear. And they'll be waiting whenever you're ready," Jialiang held her hand tight.

The sound of Derek's front door sliding open caught their attention. The man in question paused when he noticed their facial expressions, "Should I come back later?"

Sofia let out a breathy laugh, "You're good."

"So, uh, Jeya-Jia-J-" Derek attempted to pronounce the older man's name.

Jialiang held a hand out to stop the man's stuttering, "You can still call me Jay."

"Right, well uh, Jay, how long exactly were you planning to stay?"

Sofia stood, "As long as he wants."

"This is still my loft, Sofia. Technically, even you're still a guest," Derek practically whined but with a straight face. Sofia crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows at the man.

"Fine!" Derek caved, as usual.

Sofia smiled in victory. She pecked his cheek and lightly slapped the other side of his face, "We'll be back."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm gonna take him to Argent's armory, yknow do some assassin family bonding," Sofia joked as she walked out with her grandfather.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"The first gun I ever taught your dad to use was a K-frame revolver. He told me he wanted the rifle as his first," Jialiang laughed at the memory of his son.

Sofia walked alongside the older man, smiling at the thought. She missed her parents more than anything, but at least she finally had real family once more.

"I don't even remember the first gun I was taught to use. I was like 8," Sofia looked at the wall of guns in Argents smallest armory.

Jialiang stopped and placed a hand on her shoulder, "You shouldn't have had to grow up like that. I'm sorry, Sofia."

The 25-year-old smiled sadly, "It doesn't matter. I have you and the others now."

"I can't wait to introduce you to the Ojai branch in California. They were excited when I finally found you," Jay started. "I'll show you our favorite mountainside vault."

Sofia laughed, "That sounds too good to be true honestly. But I can't wait to travel with you."

"We have all the time in the world now that I've found you. I'm not gonna let your parents down any longer."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

haleshoe is typing...

*insert evil laugh*

okok next chap will be up in a couple hours and be back to normal plot

thanks for reading!!
hope you enjoyed<33