CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

chapter seventeen ( the dark moon )

chapter seventeen
( the dark moon )

Many people continued about their day, walking the streets of the small town run by the Calavera clan. A loud shattering sound drew their attention. Everyone watched in horror as someone came flying out the second story window of the Calavera compound.

Severo grunted upon impact but quickly got back up. He rubbed his leg in pain and looked around, noticing the attention. He yelled at them all to turn away and mind their business.

Severo hobbled back to the entrance. Two men stood, armed, waiting for him.

"Do we call for backup?" One of the men asked, unsure of what was going on.

Suddenly a scream pierced the air as another hunter came flying out the same window. Severo cursed the girl out under his breath before pushing past the two.

"I can do this all day," Sofia yelled, tears streaming down her face. Her mind and emotions were a mess. Araya was still airborne against the wall, vulnerable to Sofia's will.

"Mija, we both know you don't have it in you to hurt your own grandmother. Now let me down," Araya protested.

Sofia's face fell blank, "And I didn't think you had it in you to kill your own daughter." Silence.

Sofia applied more pressure until Araya finally caved, "I can't explain anything if i'm dead."

Just like that, the older woman was dropped to the floor. She let out a few coughs before Sofia was at her side picking her up.

"Well?"

"I didn't kill your mother," Araya paused and faced the girl. "It was Davya."

"First you tell me my entire life that Peter Hale was the last person to be seen around my mother before her death and now this! Stop lying to me!" Sofia's yell rang through the silent room. The uncontrolled outburst caused a lightbulb to explode above the two. Araya attempted to duck but Sofia refused to move.

"I'm not," Araya said through gritted teeth.

Sofia angrily let go of her grandmother and reached for the letter. She roughly unfolded it and shoved it in the older woman's face.

"Then what the fuck is this?!" She yelled, tears still streaming out.

Araya's face morphed between emotions at the sight. Her face dropped as her eyes scanned the old letter. She reached out for it but Sofia yanked it back.

"Where did you find that?"

Sofia sarcastically laughed, "Where did I find it? That's what you're worried about?"

"Mija listen —"

"No. You listen," Sofia shoved the letter back into her pocket and faced Araya once more.

"I don't know why you did it. But I know nothing could possibly excuse your horrid actions or change the fact that it happened," Sofia's voice broke in a scarily calm voice.

"She was going to ruin everything. I had no choice," Araya whispered to the girl.

"Open the door!" A voice shouted from outside the office. A loud group of bangs came from the same area.

Sofia knew she was running out of time if they were gonna find Derek. Although she was reluctant, she would have to drop this situation.

"If I ever, ever, see you again, you will regret it," Sofia stormed to the entrance and blew the doors open. A couple of the hunters had been knocked back, the others were thrown out of the way at Sofia's will as she ran through the halls.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Sofia had been waiting on the outskirts of town. She was hoping to catch the teenagers as they were leaving. What she didn't know is that a certain mercenary was leading them to Derek's location and had been watching Sofia since their arrival.

A motorcycle, followed by a familiar beat up blue jeep, approached the girls hiding spot. Sofia knew that motorcycle all too well and waited for the rider to remove their helmet before she lunged forward.

Braeden met her with a hug just as tight. The two girls smiled to themselves at being reunited with the other.

Sofia pulled back, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Me? I saw your little display. I should be the one asking questions," Braeden said as Scott hopped out of the jeep.

"What the hell happened in there?" Scott immediately questioned the hunter.

Sofia looked down, refusing to meet Scott's violence isn't the answer eyes. "It was personal Scott, leave it alone."

Sofia knew the boy wanted to dig deeper but reluctantly sighed and moved back towards the car. Braeden gently squeezed Sofia's shoulder.

"Are you okay?"

Sofia would've cried if she could. All her tears had been worn out. She shook her head with a sarcastic laugh, "Nope."

Braeden swung an arm around the girls shoulders and led her to the bike, "Let's go."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

haleshoe is typing...

this episode is gonna take at least another chapter, my bad heh

i'm so excited that braeden is back in the story bc i absolutely love her and sofia's friendship and i can't wait to write them :))

also, i had originally planned for sofia's whole revenge to be much bigger but i figured it didn't really fit who she was. like as heartbroken as she is, sofia wouldn't actually kill araya since she spent so much of her life trying to see the good within the situation and now having spent a lot of time with the pack and their whole "non violence" spiel

thanks for reading! hope you enjoyed <33