SIXTY THREE 🌸

"ROME

"ROME."

"That sounds amazing Lexi. I bet the pasta and pizza are to die for." She blotted my face with a makeup sponge, starting out with a light shade to match my skin type.

"I mean, he already cooks amazing pasta and pizza because he's Italian but I'll take kisses by the Trevi fountain and hand holding around the Colosseum any day." Arlo sighed loudly. He dropped his phone on his face and grunted. "Something the matter Arlo?" Lexi asked, knowing full well the sigh was aimed at her.

"You're boring me to tears. Shut up about your stupid boyfriend and your trip to Rome." She picked up a darker shade of foundation and filled in certain areas of my face, the areas of shadows.

"Nobody likes a jealous Judy. And get rid of all your shit from in here, I have to sleep here tonight." He sat up, propping himself up on his elbows and tutted with his tongue.

"You do?"

"Well yeah Arlo, we leave tomorrow morning, I need to be here. Try not to sound too disappointed about that fact." Lexi rummaged through her makeup bag and picked out a lighter shade, this time filling in all the areas of my face where the light hit. "I won't deny, I am nervous. All his family live in Italy. I'm gonna meet his mom. I've never met somebody's mom before." Arlo flung himself back down on the mattress letting out a quiet scream. "What will she say when she finds out I have two stripper dads, I'm almost nineteen and still in high school?"

"She'll say you're -" Arlo paused mid sentence, to look at my face. "Stop it." He moved himself over to us.  "What are you doing? Stop." He took the sponge out of Lexis hand and we laughed at his strange behaviour. "You're covering all of her freckles."

"Oh that's okay, I'll draw them back on afterwards." She grabbed the sponge back and continued dabbing my face. He took it off her again.

"Why would you draw them on when she already has them to begin with?" Lexi got a new sponge out and tipped some liquid onto it.

"So that they're symmetrical." She continued dabbing my face.

"But they're perfect already. She's perfect." Lexi's smile grew really big, so did mine and Arlo narrowed his eyes at us.

"Awwwww, Arlo! It's so nice seeing you with a girlfriend." My smile fell, way to make things awkward Lexi. His eyes flicked to mine momentarily but then he rolled them and shook his head.

"Whatever, you guys are dumb. I'm leaving." And with that he grabbed his phone and jacket and left.

Lakeland's yearly retreat always concluded with a small dance, or so I'm told that's how it traditionally went. I expected something on the grand scale of Lakelands charity event but instead they packed away the tables in the dinner hall and switched on some disco lights. It was cute, kinda like a kindergarten party. The theme was to dress badly, apparently but I didn't get the memo.