6: Hot guy? No thanks, I am keeping a low profile.

My grandparents came to get me, but they just stood outside my maamaa's house the whole time. I found this stubbornness to be stupid. After all, my dad died 10 years ago and his leg was broken even before the incident! Still holding a grudge!

My grandparents lived in a small village called Valayapatti. It had fewer than a hundred houses. I was a novelty there! Orphaned granddaughter returns. Heads turned wherever I went. Village, this little had even little things to gossip about and it looked like I would be the gossip topic for the next few months.

I visited my soon-to-be school; it was.. Well! It was nothing like I expected. Valayapatti had only one school, the Valayapatti Government School. Students sat on the floor cross-legged till 8th grade. There were no tables or chairs, don't even ask me about personal lockers! Some students didn't even own a slipper and walked barefoot.

This was in contrast to the school Sai went to. It would have put my Ontario Oaks High to shame with digital classes and high-tech labs. I understand why Ravi maamaa was so reluctant in letting me join this school.

"Did you like the school?" asked my grandma.

"Yes, paati*," I lied.

(Don't confuse paati with potty, grandmothers are called paati in Tamil)

"You don't have to lie to me."

I grinned sheepishly and said, "I will survive."

"That I know, your dad went to this school. Those who want to learn will learn anywhere."

There was a knock on the door as a girl entered calling, "paati". She smiled at me and said, "How are you Ananya Anni*".

(Anni literally means sister in law in tamil, but elder maternal female cousins are also referred to as Anni)

I smiled back, but had no idea who she was. Indians name everyone as some relation athai (Aunty), paati, Anni, but it really irritates me.

"This is Saranya, daughter of Radha. She helps me with the daily chores," paati said.

Still I didn't know who she was, nor this whole new Radha character. I smiled politely, pretending to know what my paati was saying.

"Anna also has come," Saranya said.

"Where is he?" asked my paati.

"You said you wanted to dig trench around trees to hold water properly, he is working there," saying she went to work.

"Poor things, both of them are very brilliant; but God doesn't give everything to everyone." I nodded and left, not wanting to know another sad story.

I missed my mother more than ever. I stayed in my dad's bedroom. Most of his things were still intact. Clothes, books he used. I got to know him more, not just from my mom's memories. I found a stash of love letters my parents had written. There was his personal diary. Reading it made me realise how much I have lost when my dad died, he would have been a great father. Yes, God doesn't give everything to everyone. God could have at least stopped when he took away one parent, but both..

My phone rang cutting my gloomy thoughts, it was Olivia.

"Hey Olive."

"Hey Anu, I miss you so much."

I laughed, "Why? Is Aarav giving you a hard time already?"

"Not Aarav!"

"Bloody hell! Don't tell me."

"Aadhya found out about us."

"I wasn't there for a week and you got caught already."

Olivia nodded, "She walked in on us!"

"Oh my god! I can't believe I'm missing all this entertainment."

Olivia rolled her eyes. "If Aadhya interrogates me anymore, I'm breaking up with him. Anyway, how are things there in Valapi?"

I laughed "It's Valayapatti, not Valapi!"

"Switch to the back camera and show me around."

I showed her around my room.

"The view from my balcony is amazing," I said and moved to my balcony intending to show the fields and scenic view of the hills behind.

"Stop, what do I see there?"

"Zoom in a little," she commanded.

"You lucky bitch! What a view!"

A boy of our age was working in the field. He was digging with a shovel, but that is a moot point here. He was shirtless, sweat beads were rolling down his back.

He turned, making Olivia exclaim "Holy shit!"

Well that describes it! Holy Shit! He was extremely sexy with his delicious eight pack abs. His muscles did not bulge out like the ones who workout in the gym. It was built more naturally, typical of one who does hard physical work. There was nothing soft about him, I wanted to run my hand over his sweaty chest, God! Where did that thought come from!

"Who the hell is he? I am booking the next flight to India."

"I am not sure," but I guessed it must be Saranya's brother, the other brilliant one my paati was talking about. I didn't mind Saranya calling me 'Anni' anymore.

(*Anni - Sister-in-law)

"You should go and talk to him."

"I am not sure Olive, Sai advised me to keep a low profile."

"Since when do you listen to Sai?"

"He is really not that bad!"

"Speak for yourself! I couldn't tolerate him for two weeks. But I have to appreciate Alec though, I would have murdered Sai, if I were him. Speaking of Alec, did you guys talk?"

"Yes"

"It must have been really comfortable" Olivia said sarcastically.

"Tell me about it! I have never felt this awkward. I barely knew what to say."

"He seemed pretty cut off today, but I saw three girls already asking him out. I wouldn't worry if I were you."

"I know."

"Anyways I got to go! Enjoy the view. Try taking some pictures, it's a crime not to."