48: Menarche Again!

AN: Menarche happens only once in a lifetime, there is no concept of 'again' in it. But I have already added a chapter as Menarche so I added a 'Again'.

Much like the chapter "Owl post again" from Harry potter and prisoner of Azkaban.

If it still doesn't ring a bell. Harry potter and prisoner of Azkaban first chapter is Owl post and the last chapter is Owl post again. I know I am no JK Rowling nor my story is as good as Harry Potter, but one can always hope and dream the impossible.

Ananya's POV

When I reached home, I found a stranger helping my paati wash vessels.

"Paati!," I squealed and hugged her.

"I missed you paati!"

"The house felt empty without you."

"Who is the new helper? What happened to Saranya?"

She gave me a sly smile as she answered, "Saranya has attained her age."

I returned the same sly smile. I needed no more explanation, probably you might. 'Attaining age' means she has reached her menarche. It's a great deal here. India is all about celebrating womanhood, but this particular custom is taking it to the next level.

'Attaining age' was celebrated like a wedding reception! I was in Valayapatti for the holidays when I attained my age and the innocent thirteen year old me was excited. Ravi maamaa held a grand function in a party hall. I got so many gifts; jewels and money mostly. But then my monthly cycles started making me wish I could return all the gifts in exchange.

We went to visit Saranya later that evening. We bought fruits and flowers. The whole street was covered with a cloth canopy and a loudspeaker was blaring Tamil songs.

Radha aunty (Senthil's mother, in case you forgot) was glowing as she welcomed us. She wasted no time in telling the reason for her ecstasy. Her brother aka Senthil's maamaa had not been in speaking terms with them for a long time, but now he has organised a lavish celebration for Saranya and wanted to re-establish ties.

I spotted Senthil, but he was busy talking to someone and didn't see me. I debated if I should walk over and talk to him. I don't know how everyone would react. Senthil turned and our eyes met, I gave him a radiant smile but he just turned back to his conversation.

What was that about? Would it hurt just to smile back or nod or even blink? I was hurt, why is it always me who reaches out and gets pushed away.

I was sulking throughout the dinner and went up to my room early. I changed into pj and lied down but couldn't sleep.

How can Senthil do this to me? Ramya's words kept floating in my head, 'Don't think for a second he will respect you.' I knew the villagers were not forward minded but I just wanted him to return a smile. Was it too much to ask? Does he have any respect or even consideration for my feelings?

There was no point in lying around when my mind clearly was in overdrive. I got up and did the only thing that usually helps when I am frustrated, I studied.

The logic is simple; when confronted with problems I cannot solve, I try to concentrate on problems I can solve.

My eyes finally started to drop, my heart didn't feel any better, but my brain was tired enough to sleep. I checked my phone, it was one in the morning and I had got a message from Senthil's mother!

It read, "Don't come tomorrow."

Was that all he had to tell me? Don't come tomorrow! No apologies for ignoring me.

I already promised my paati I will accompany her. I saw no point in replying as I was not sure if he would get it.

My brain went into overdrive again, I started studying. I woke up propped awkwardly on my book.

"Why are you looking like a racoon?" my paati asked as the morning greeting.

"I was studying late." Well, it was partially true anyway.

"We will start late and come home for lunch."

"Why?"

"They would serve non-vegetarian food." My paati can never utter the words meat or chicken, so it's non-vegetarian.

"Fine."

I wore my favourite orange skirt and kelly green crop top. My paati pursed her lips as she saw me, she always complained that this dress made me look gangly.

The celebrations were in full swing when we reached. Saranya looked adorable in the garland she was wearing. She welcomed my paati warmly but her face fell when she saw me.

Senthil came to a halt when he saw me. His face turned furious as he marched off. My phone rang, it was Senthil.

"I told you not to come today."

"My paati wanted me to accompany her. She didn't want to come alone."

"Leave now," he said furiously.

"I will leave when I want to."

"God damn it, Ananya, leave now" he shouted.

I hung up. I went searching for my paati. I didn't want to stay there any longer. My paati was talking with Senthil's mother.

"Paati," I called.

"Anu, are you alright?"

"No, I don't feel well. Shall we leave?"

"Shall I ask someone to bring you a drink?" Senthil's mom asked.

"No, aunty, it's fine."

"Wish you wouldn't leave so soon, you just came," she said to my paati.

Just then a girl joined us, I remember her, she was one of the girls Senthil was chit chatting with a long time ago. Radha aunty positively quivered with excitement when she saw her. I couldn't help but feel sick, here I was; an unwelcomed guest.

"This is Priya, Senthil's fiancé."

AN: A video of grand Menarche function held in south India

Love you moreजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें