33: I just hugged you. No need to get violent!

I knew Ramya meant well, but I was angry with her. The truth is I have never starved in my life due to lack of food, it was usually self-inflicted. Did Senthil and the rest of my schoolmates suffer all their life?

I felt bad for Senthil, I have visited his house. The entire house could fit in my room. If I had not agreed to Senthil tutoring me, he would have quit school to take care of his family. Can I blame him for not being social? He was strong despite everything. I felt a rush of affection towards him.

I didn't notice Senthil had come, till he called me.

"Hey," I said groggily.

"Are you alright?" Senthil asked with concern.

"Tired, give me a few minutes." I was still wearing Senthil's t-shirt. I quickly showered and changed my clothes.

"I need my jersey back," asked Senthil.

"Sure."

"I want them back now."

"I will wash them and give it to you tomorrow."

"No, don't wash," he said quickly.

I handed it over, he took a large whiff before stuffing it inside his bag. I was blushing and couldn't control the shy smile. The bad mood about Ramya was quickly forgotten, but it was not long-lived as he brought it back.

"Why was Ramya shouting?"

"Nothing, just girl-talk."

Senthil didn't look convinced, "I heard her shout my name."

Now I was caught, "She saw us ...." I trailed, I couldn't bring myself to say kissing. "She wasn't happy, that's all. Don't worry."

Senthil was distant for the rest of the tuition, making me wonder if he had overheard our conversation.

Our second term came to an end by December. This time I was confident I would score above 80% in all subjects, but still, it wasn't enough to get into medical college. I needed to score above 95%. Sai scored 99.6%. Wondering if he is even human? Or did he do anything else other than study? I wondered the same.

~~~~

"I knew your maamaa had very few manners. How can he make you travel alone," grumbled paati. I was traveling to Sai's house in Chennai for the Christmas holidays.

"Paati, I am not a child."

"I am not saying you are a child, but asking women to travel alone!"

"Maamaa is sending a car to drop me at the airport. It's just 30 mins travel by air and Sai will pick me up from there."

My grandparents didn't own a car. Car is a luxury here, not a necessity. Normal households prefer two-wheelers to cars and public transport is well connected.

"Still," grumbled my paati.

My paati wasn't the only one who was mad about me traveling. Senthil was even more so. Senthil didn't own a cell phone, we would not be able to connect unless I called him at his mother's number.

"Do you have to go?" he grumbled at every opportunity.

"You are going to Chennai for a match too," was my usual reply. Our school volleyball team was traveling to Chennai for a state-level competition. I had plans to surprise Senthil before the match.

Sai picked me from the airport. I did what I haven't been able to do in Valayapatti, I went shopping with Shivani.

Sai was busy with his semester exams. He was either in college or closeted in his room, studying, so I didn't see him much. But he didn't let me be free as well. He produced a large collection of books which he had used for NEET preparation, with the air of Father Christmas giving extra-large chocolate.

"Use these books to prepare for NEET."

"Thanks, Sai, I will take them with me."

"You should start now, I will help you if you have any doubts."

"I am on holiday!" I said indignantly.

"You shouldn't be with that attitude, you already started later than everyone," my maamaa chimed in.

"Ok maamaa, I will prepare"

Sai gave me an evil grin behind my maamaa's back.

"Why did you do that?" I complained as I was forced to sit with Sai and study on my holidays.

"I just want you to be prepared, dear."

"You want me to believe that rubbish. You only did it out of spite."

"Why ask when you know me well!"

"I hate you."

"I love you, too."

"You are incorrigible."

"Don't worry, you just have to endure till my exams are over. I will come to your rescue," he said with a wink.

True to his words, Sai sang a different story, "Too much work with no play is bad," and the whole family chorused.

"Sai, I need your car."

"Anything for you, sweety."

I narrowed my eyes, "You should stop acting like this."

"Like what?"

"Like this! No wonder Ramya accused me of cheating on you with Senthil."

"I am not stopping just because of what others think. Do you not like it?"

I just huffed. He gave me a triumphant smile and said, "See, I know you don't mind and I am not stopping." He blew me a kiss.

"Still don't do it in public."

"Public!" he got up and pulled me into a hug, leaning his face closer to mine he mumbled, "then what are my limits in private?"

"Oh, Sai.." I mumbled and wrapped my arms around his neck, before he could react, I banged my head to his nose.

"Aww!" he screamed.

"In private, you will keep your hands to yourself unless you want to suffer a major injury."

"You broke my nose!"

Since I have already broken Thrimalai's nose once, I knew exactly how much force to use to cause pain but not break his nose. Practice makes perfect.

"No, I didn't. Don't exaggerate" I said, blowing him a kiss back.

"What! I just hugged you. No need to get violent," he pretended to catch my kiss and throw it in the dustbin.

"And sweetheart, if you want my help in the future I advise you not to hurt me."

"Nevermind, I will ask maamaa"