24: Injection to prevent dog bite!

I woke up warm and content. I was lying on my bed. I have no memory of what happened yesterday. But the hollow ache in my chest was gone. So the answer to my broken heart was beer all along. I quickly washed and went down.

"Good morning," I said, smiling at my grandparents.

My paati hugged me, "I was worried, Anu."

"Just tired paati, you both made me walk 40 km."

Sai came down at that moment.

"Good morning, Sai."

"Good morning," he walked over and hugged me. What's with hugging people? Seriously, I was sad for one day.

Then we looked down at the disheveled form of Shivani. She was looking daggers at us.

"What's with her?" asked Sai.

I shrugged. She huffed and got up, pointing threatening fingers at us.

"You and you! I hate you both."

"Hey, that was uncalled for, what did we do?"

"You both are the ones who got drunk, why am I the one having a hangover?"

We both couldn't keep the smile off our faces. I and Sai were weird that way, we never once got a hangover. Admittedly I have only drunk beer, wine, and vodka.

"Did you drink yesterday? I don't remember," I asked Shivani.

"No, I didn't, but I didn't get to sleep controlling you both from jumping off the terrace."

"Oh! It was you who took me to my room. Thanks, Shivani."

She blushed but didn't answer.

"Paati, I want a puppy for my birthday."

"I will get you for your next birthday."

Shivani snorted. "What's with you today?" asked Sai.

"If you both ever talk to me again about dogs or pups, I will kill you."

"Why!" we asked in unison.

"You both wouldn't stop going on and on about finding an injection to prevent a dog bite."

"I am a medical student, maybe we discussed curing dog bite symptoms. Your 'Accounts' mind didn't understand I guess." Shivani didn't inherit Sai's brain or the ambition to become a doctor. She settled for commerce. She scored 86%, some people may consider it brainy but that's stupid in nerd's standard.

"No, you discussed injections that prevent a dog bite."

"What's wrong with that, dogs can have vaccines too."

"I can't believe we are discussing this even when you are sober. Your so-invented 'injection' is not for dogs, but humans. If humans get this injection dogs will not bite them. Why in the world would one want it?"

"This injection will be helpful for caretakers of dogs, even veterinarians might need it," I chimed in.

"It's because people like you, India is stuck. We would have taken over the world. Idea squasher!" Sai spoke with emotion.

"Your drunken idea would have improved India," Shivani scoffed.

"How dare you mock my idea!"

I silently walked away not wanting to get caught in the sibling bickering that would eventually become a fistfight.

Sai found me walking in the garden. "Finally weekend! What shall we do today? Harry Potter movie marathon?"

"No, Sai."

He gasped comically, "How can you say no to Harry potter? You know every chapter by heart."

"I want to go shopping."

He grimaced, "let's leave Shivani. The only female I can tolerate shopping with is you."

"Fine, let's leave after breakfast."

Saranya was in the kitchen when we entered through the back door. She blushed when she saw Sai. It was an unexpected reaction, I eyed Sai suspiciously. He just shrugged. I let it pass, whatever it was he would tell me later.

I was getting ready in my room when there was a knock on my door. I opened to see Senthil. It was 10 AM, God can't he be late once in his life. I froze when I really looked at him, he had a blackened eye and a bandage on his jaw. Oh my god! He looked worse than Sai. Damn! All I wanted was to touch his cheek and apologize. I wasn't even the one who punched him.

"Hey, Senthil, sorry I should have called but I am going out today, maybe we could continue from Monday."

"Ok."

"Ok," I said and returned to comb my hair.

"Ok, then."

"Ya."

"Hmm.." he cleared his throat.

I closed my eyes, this is going to go for a while right. He clearly wanted to say something. But I am not in a charitable mood now. If he wants to stay away from me, that is what he should do.

He coughed.

"Do you want something?" I asked rather crossly.

"Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Isn't that what we are already doing." My almost always irritating inner voice gave me a hi-five saying, 'Go, girl! Show him you have had enough of him and he is not going to get you to cry anymore'.

He coughed again.

"Ananya... hmm.." he let out a heavy breath. Whatever is eating him, let it continue. I didn't turn but continued to comb my hair.

"Will you please look at me?"

I looked at him, he was red, "Ananya, I told you we should stay away."

"Yes, don't worry since I no longer plan to learn Tamil, we can cut weekend classes. Once you cover the missed classes we don't have to see each other any longer."

"That's not what I meant."

"If you want to quit right now, that's fine too. I am sure I will find someone else to teach me."

"Let me finish."

"You want me to stay away. I got it."

"Will you please -" I cut him off in mid-sentence.

"You have already said all that is to say."

I turned my back. I promised myself I will not cry once he leaves me this time. I felt the familiar ache in my chest, all the beer is in the gutter now. Maybe drinking during the day is not a bad idea, just a bottle or two.

"Ok, that's it."

Before I knew it, I was spun around and Senthil's lips crashed on mine. I gasped in surprise and he used the chance to slide his tongue in. I tried to push him, but he just deepened the kiss.

I bit his tongue, well, I might have got the idea from Sai. God! What was he thinking? He can kiss me and walk all over me the next minute? It's not happening, Mister. You too are going on a liquid diet for the next two weeks.