49: Lies

I choked. My paati patted my back.

Senthil's mother was oblivious as she continued, "We are holding a simple engagement ceremony today. I know both are young, but why wait when they both like each other."

Priya blushed furiously as my paati congratulated her.

"Do you want to sit down?" Radha aunty asked. I must have looked really sick, even for Radha aunty to notice.

"Paati, shall we leave?" I asked in a choked voice.

"Yes, Anu." My paati took my hand as we bid farewell.

"You shouldn't skip sleep to study Anu, you should take it easy," my paati advised.

My mind was in shock, I didn't know what to feel or what to do.

"Senthil would be disappointed you couldn't stay. You should give your health priority Anu," my paati continued.

At the mention of Senthil, I saw red.

"Senthil," called my paati. I looked up to see Senthil standing in front of us.

"Congratulations," I said, surprising even me.

"What?" he asked in a growl.

"Congratulations on your engagement," I said glaring at him

"Sorry, we couldn't stay. Anu is not feeling well," my paati said.

His eyes were on me as he said, "Ananya, we need to talk."

We were interrupted as a man called, "Mappila*" and tapped Senthil's shoulder lovingly.

(Mappila* - Son-in-law)

I didn't want to stay any longer. I pulled my paati along and left.

All hell broke loose as I locked myself in my room. I flung myself to my bed and started crying.

I loved Senthil, I thought I knew him. I never thought I was foolish enough to get cheated.

Was that all a lie when he said he loved me? I trusted and loved him with my whole heart. He was two-timing me all the time.

Thirumala's words floated in my mind.

"I just didn't want you to be fooled by that two-timer."

"You think I am the villain. I am not a sneaky bastard like him. He is playing you, Ananya. Don't let him fool you."

"Scared that I will spill your little secret?"

"Stay away from her." "Which one? I like both."

When Senthil asked Thirumala to stay away, he had asked which one. Thirumalai must have known about Priya all along.

I have stupidly trusted Senthil. When Senthil tried to explain I told him I trusted him explicitly saying I would never doubt him on Thirumalai's words.

My phone rang, it was Senthil's mother's number. I blocked the number and switched off my phone.

What was he going to tell me? I don't want to hear any of his pathetic excuses.

"You want to know why I kissed you? Because I love you damn it. I have loved you from the moment I first saw you. I love you when you look at me. I love you when you say my name. I love you when you pout. I love you when you blush. I love you even now when you try to avoid looking at me. Damn it, I love you and everything about you."

Lies.

"I have loved you from the moment I met you. Ananya, I love you."

Lies.

"Who is your first crush?"

"You."

Lies.

"I want to become a doctor too. I want to be worthy when I marry you."

Lies.

"Love you more."

Lies.

Every single thing was a lie; every touch; every kiss; every whispered 'love you'.