27: Every Indian's ultimate goal in life is marriage

To my distress, Senthil kept his word. He no longer, in his own words, 'distracted me'. I wish he did. But I caught him staring at me from time to time.

We didn't have any pending school work, so we were free for the coming weekend. I had read enough romance novels to know what we could do, I had everything planned out.

We played 21 questions. Did you expect something else?

"21 questions?" asked Senthil.

Ya, I forgot he didn't even know who Edward Cullen was. Do you think I have hope for romance, I doubt that too.

"Each of us can ask each other 21 questions. you know to get to know each other better."

"I will ask first," Senthil said.

"Ok."

"Will you tell me off, if I hold your hands?"

I blushed as I said, "No, I don't mind."

He held my hands immediately. I could feel my cheeks heat up, "You should ask," he said, squeezing my hands gently.

My brain stopped working and blurted out without thinking, "Who is your first crush?"

"You."

If I didn't look like a tomato already I would look like one now as I said, "Come off it, You are 17. Are you telling me you never had a crush on anyone before you met me?"

"We first met when we were ten."

"We did?"

He smiled and said "I was injured when you found me crying. I was hiding, but you found me. You said you were a doctor and would treat my wounds. But I didn't stop crying, you hugged me and said all my pain will go away. You treated my wounds and gave me a pen as a gift. And whenever you came here for holidays, I would come and see you"

"We met each year? I am sorry, Senthil, I don't know why I can not remember!"

"No Ananya, I came to see you, but we didn't meet. I stayed afar."

"Why didn't you come and talk to me all that time?"

"I think it's my turn to ask"

"Fine," I grumbled, he chuckled.

"Tell me your favorite color."

"Purple and green."

"Now your turn."

Now the devil inside me took the reins and asked, "Will you tell me off if I hug you?"

"No, I would like that."

I walked towards him, he stood up and spread his arms. I tiptoed and kissed his cheek before resting my head in his chest. I heard his heartbeat. He wrapped his arms around me gently.

"I love you," I mumbled.

I just realized Senthil meant more to me than I admitted to myself. I have fallen in love with this non-social creature.

"Love you more," he mumbled and kissed my hair softly.

We both jumped apart as someone gasped, theatrically in my opinion.

"How could you do this Senthil? Paati trusted you and you do this behind her back? You know you can't be with her. What are you thinking? You are already enngghhh" Senthil pulled Saranya outside cutting off her angry yells.

Great! My sister-in-law doesn't approve of me already. Wait, what am I thinking, sister-in-law! Guess Indian blood runs in my veins too.

Senthil and Saranya came back together. Saranya rushed and hugged me saying, "I am so happy for you both. You would be my anni for real."

Calling me anni for real! Every Indian's ultimate goal in life is marriage. Why can't it be to run a marathon, financial independence, daily exercise or rule the world?