55: Disappointed to see you

I never imagined I would be disappointed to see Ananya ever in my life, but I was. I expressed my disappointment the only way I knew. I was livid, turned and stormed off when I saw Ananya and paati walking in for the function.

Didn't I tell her not to come today? I didn't want her to meet my mother. I wanted to protect her. Why is it so damn hard to listen for once. I didn't ask for much.

I took my mother's phone and called her.

I tried to control my temper as I snapped, "I told you not to come today."

"My paati wanted me to accompany her. She didn't want to come alone," she said in a small voice.

"Leave now," I growled at the phone.

"I will leave when I want to."

I lost it all and yelled, "God damn it Ananya! Leave now."

I watched in horror as she made her way to her paati who was talking to my mother. Shortly after, Priya joined them. 

Ananya looked white as a sheet ready to faint as she walked clutching paati for support.

I intercepted her. She glared at me when she saw me and said, "Congratulations."

"What?" I growl.

"Congratulations on your engagement."

I needed to know what my mother had told her, "Ananya, we need to talk."

I was interrupted by my maamaa, when I turned she had already stormed off with paati.

"Mappila," my maamaa called.

"Maamaa I don't want to get engaged to Priya." I said without preamble.

"Are you worried she is too young to get married? You can marry her as soon as she is 18."

"That's not what I mean. I see Priya as my sister. I can never marry her."

"Mappila if you are angry at me, please I apologise."

"I am not angry with you. I never agreed to this."

Priya joined us, "Dad, I have been telling the same. Please let us not proceed with this engagement."

I gave a grateful smile to Priya.

I went to visit Ananya that evening. I found her sleeping. Her eyes looked puffy and there were tear tracks all over her cheeks. I shouldn't have shouted at her.

"I am sorry," I mumbled and kissed her forehead before leaving.

She never gave me a chance to talk to her. She was surrounded by her friends at school at all times and at home she had moved the study table down stairs and made sure paati always accompanied us. I wrote her many letters explaining everything, but she never read them.