16: Birthday surprise

Confetti rained all over me as voices shouted "Surprise!"

I blinked several times before realising what was happening around me. Sai, Shivani, Saranya, Tamil, P.Saranya, and Ramya were all gathered in my grandparents' living room which was lavishly decorated.

A big banner read, 'Happy Birthday Anu' .

My gaze found Sai, he stepped forward and said, "Happy Birthday, darling."

Before he could finish I engulfed him in a bear hug. The tears I controlled all the way spilled. He wrapped a hand around me and with another patted my head crooning it was alright. It took me several minutes to calm down.

"I pricked my feet with something, it's hurting," I said to cover up.

Sai half carried me to the couch. He took my leg and placed it on the table, examining it. Tamil let out a gasp and covered her eyes. I was bleeding and a big thorn was almost buried inside my heel with only the tip visible.

"Shivani, bring me my first aid bag," said Sai.

"Hold still it might sting a bit. I don't want the torn to be broken" Sai first cleaned the wound and used a scalpel to cut the top tissues and with a surgical tweezer pulled out the torn. He applied the medicine and bandaged it neatly.

"Thanks, Sai."

He winked and he said, "Anything for you, Love."

My friends and grandparents were ogling us. When I turned, Senthil was looking at me, his fists clenched. I ignored him. Turning to Sai I asked, "You carry around surgical instruments in a first-aid bag?"

"I am an MBBS* student, what do you expect?"

(MBBS - Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgeon. Ya! I too think it must have been called BMBS. Or Just BMS. Well, it awfully sounds similar to PMS. Back to story)

"You are a doctor!" exclaimed Tamil.

"In a few years, now I am just a medical student."

"Anu, why don't you change? We can cut your birthday cake."

"Change?" I asked blankly only then I realized my clothes were half wet.

"Ya! Will be back in a minute."

As I headed upstairs my friends tagged along.

Tamil gushed, "Wow! He is so dreamy."

"A doctor!" exclaimed Ramya.

"Why didn't you tell us about him till now?" accused P.Saranya

"Did you see the way he tended to her wound, I thought I would swoon," said Tamil.

They stopped in their tracks when we reached my room. A peach-colored ruffle gown was lying on the bed. Tamil swooned.

"Wow! He is so romantic," Tamil gushed.

"You are so lucky," exclaimed P. Saranya.

"You both make an excellent pair," complimented Ramya.

I choked, "We are not together."

"What are you saying?" asked Ramya.

"Sai doesn't love me."

"He traveled all the way from Chennai to surprise you for your birthday."

"We are friends."

"He made sure to invite us today through Senthil's sister. He even knew our names. I mean you obviously tell him everything."

It stung to hear Senthil's name, "We are close, I have known Sai since I was born."

"Ananya, friends don't travel 8 hours just to celebrate birthdays."

"Well Shivani traveled with him, don't tell me she is in love with me too."

"Didn't you hug and cry because you missed him?"

Before I could respond, Shivani came in, effectively breaking our argument. I changed into my dress, I used a dryer to dry my hair and let it loose. 

When we walked down, I spotted Senthil, he was standing by the entrance and was staring at me. My heart gave a painful squeeze, why was he still here? Didn't he make it clear he hated me?

"Here comes my Princess," Sai said.

He brought his hand from the back, producing a tiara. My friends swooned dramatically. Sai smirked at me as he placed the tiara on my head. These girls may not know Sai, but I do. He is just doing it to get me hyped. But my senses were already numb with rejection. He looked thoughtfully at me for a few minutes before guiding me to the cake.