20. Mateo

(‼️TW: IF YOU ARE RELIGOUS, YOU MAY BE OFFENED‼️)

After the small rays of sun that peaked through the curtain awoke me, I decided to get out of bed and go about my day.

I brushed my teeth, did my business, brushed out my hair then moisturised my face. I've come to the decision that I'm not going to torture with Aleksandro today as I want to look fresh for the evening.

I have no idea why I want to impress Drystan but I just fucking do.

I pull one of my large shirts over my head and kept the shorts from last night on my legs, I slip on my shoes and stroll out of my room towards the dining room.

I jog down the marble stairs looking down at my phone and not realising that I've banged into someone.

"Shit. Sorry." I mumble and didn't bother looking at their face before I begin to walk away but only manage a step before he talks.

"Nah you're alright, my bad." A voice says,I turn my head to look at who it was, no one familiar. Brunette, fluffy hair, pink lump lips, straight eyebrows, eyes so brown they were nearly black, and a large scar the travelled across the bridge of his nose horizontally.

"I'm the replacement, for Ashton? I'm Mateo." He holds out his hand for me to shake, his voice wasn't deep, it was almost whiny.

Submissive..... Shut up.

I take his hand and shake it, "Delaynie." I reply, his eyes go wide in realisation.

"Delaynie, Grayson? Darcia? Falcone? Greatest assassin ever known to man?" He lists my many names and I let out a laugh.

"Yes, that's me. But I wouldn't say greatest assassin." He holds my gaze for a few seconds and I swear I forgot where I was.

"So, Mateo? Italian?" The name Mateo originates form Italy so I assume he's Italian.

"Parents were, we moved here not long ago." He elaborates and I nod, that explains his accent.

"When'd you get accepted?" I hadn't gone through the names of the latest promotions and recruits, Merick was taking care of that ever since Ashton was... deceased. Merick was not very good at the business now due to his age but he tries.

"Yesterday actually, today's my first day." I look down at our hands still joined together, he looks down with me and I see a small blush coat his neck. I pull away my hand slowly.

"Oh, are you living here then?" Ashton had a room inside the mansion due to his higher rank so Mateo should too.

"Nope, I've bought an apartment a few streets away."