22. Marking

‼️TW: Carving of the skin‼️

"Oh, I almost forgot. Here." His hand leaves my waist and he digs into his pocket, he pulls out the card he was holding earlier. Now that I look at it closely it looks like a letter, I take it in my hand and look at him confused. "Open it when you get home." I place it on top of the picnic basket.

My mind travels to what happened earlier today, the spy. How did she get passed security? Does this mean that someone else is taking over the Russian mafia? If so who is it?

"Talk to me, what's wrong?" Drystan brings his head away from my neck and looks me in the eye.

King of the corrupted cleansing me ever so slowly with his gestures.

"Nothing. Work." I reply vaguely, I don't trust Drystan enough to explain the inevitable weaknesses that may become known.

"Delaynie." His voice holds a warning tone and I roll my eyes.

"Well you see, today I went to the workhouse to check up on everything and there was a Russian, Aleksandro's, sitting there. I killed her of course." His eyebrows furrow together in thought.

"Do you think he's got relatives who would take over?" Drystan asks.

"I've got men in Russia keeping an eye on his workhouses and reporting back to me. Since Aleksandro was kidnapped his mafia has tumbled down terribly but he still has people loyal to him. No one knows where he is or who took him, for all they know he could be on vacation ." I reply.

"Vacationing in Delaynie's torture chamber." He laughs, and there he is.

"Is that all you got out of that?" I scoff rolling my eyes, he brings his hands up to cup my face and I slightly wince at the sudden contact not expecting him to do this.

"Why'd you flinch?" He asks, looking annoyed.

"Anyways so I think I'm going to go to Russia and stay undercover." I change the subject thinking over my plan.

"Why did you flinch?" He asks once again.

"I'll have to change my appearance though.." I think about everything I'll have to do if I was to go undercover.

"Delaynie." He snaps and pulls me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I ask innocently.

"Did you think I was going to hurt you?"

"It's not like you didn't try to kill me Drystan." I laugh coldly, my eyes leave his and I observe the couple walking in the scattered trees. Hand in hand, kissing, looking at each other so in love.

I know that Drystan and I could never be that, there would always be something keeping us apart.

"I'm sorry." He whispers softly, my gaze leaves the happy couple and turns back to Drystan, he looks... hurt.

"You're sorry?" I say to confirm what I've just heard.

"I'm sorry." He says once again this time more firmly like he realises he means it. "I don't know why I tried to have you killed, I was jealous. Jealous of you. Your skills, your high rankings, your everything and I didn't even know you. If I was to go back in time I would have never given the order out. "

"Okay. I don't forgive you Drystan, but I understand that you regret it." I say truthfully.

"That's good enough for me, so you want to go undercover in Russia?" I nod my head and place a light kiss at his lips.

"You're not going alone." He says sternly.

"You're so adorable when you think you can control what I do." I squeeze his cheeks then let go, my hands tangle with his black hair.