2. Deal

Theodonis

Two soldiers stood guard at the iron doors of my father's study, eager to turn away those they deemed unworthy.
"Prince Theodonis" they announced before bowing before me in reverence. They opened the doors as soon as I stepped in its path.

They knew better, of course.

I enter into my father's study, taking note of the small group of men inside. There was a mix of dignitaries and advisors hunched over a tiny scroll. My father whispered a few commands while pointing at the ends of each corner.

My mother was on the other side of the room, fussing over a scroll of her own.

"Kmmmm hmmm" I cleared my throat, alerting the men to my presence. My father lifts his eyes at the noise, carefully assessing my figure before whispering a few commands to his men.

"Yes your majesty" they uttered, walking in formation to pile out the room. Their footsteps echo in the hallway before the last man shut the door behind them.

"Good morning mother" I walk over to kiss her cheek but she carefully intercepted my embrace.

"Apparently it has been a good one for you son" she muttered, assessing my disheveled appearance "Take a bath first" she sighs, patting my cheek before continuing the fuss over her scroll. My disheveled appearance had become a norm for her.

I pull away and turn my attention to my father. "What was so urgent father that I had to be interrupted" I ask, slouching in a leather chair across his desk.

"Theodonis" he sighs heavily.

"Here we go" I curse, pushing two fingers across the bridge of my nose.

"Theo, your immature actions have been weighing heavy on my spirit. You are eighteen going on nineteen in just a few months. You are nearing the age of adulthood, true adulthood. You must start taking things seriously to ensu—"

"—Ensure a smooth transition of power when you take your place as rightful heir to the throne of—"
He stops his speech as he hears me repeating him verbatim.

I laugh as his eyebrows furrow.

He takes a deep breath before taking off his crown. "Theo your mother and I—"

"Leave the Queen out of this!" my mother hisses.

"Fine!! I have been thinking.
The time to make you a king is now"

"Is it? Finally" I whispered sarcastically. My father had been prolonging an abdication to his throne since my rightful coronation age of 16. I thought he would have to die before I sat on the throne.

"It's time son. I am a powerful king but I am  also am old king, and a tired king.  I am ready to pass it onto you"

"What is the catch father?" I was unimpressed with his new turn of psyche. My father was stubborn and even less than impressed with my immaturity. There would either be some catch or I would have to prove myself to him. Although he complained of his fatigue, he would never give it up.

"Well, every king needs his Queen" he begins.

There it was!
That was the catch!

"Is this true? Needs...is such a strong word" I smile sarcastically. "You think it's that easy to find a woman who would pack her belongings and leave her sense of familiarities?"

"Maybe if you would be more open to the woman who are able and willing" my father disputes.

"I am!" It was a lie. I was not.