32. A King and a Plan

Ima

The king watches me from a distance as he stares into my soul.

"I am sorry your majesty" It was the only phrase I could muster up the courage to say. All roads pointed to me being a bad influence on Theo.

"No. I'm sorry Ima.
Not only am I sorry, I am foolish.
I thought you could handle my son not turn him into a vagabond."

"Your majesty—"

"The terms of my mission were clear!" He interjected, refusing to let me speak. "I told you to reject that ring at all costs! We both agreed to the terms of the mission, did we not?"

"Yes your majesty but—-"

"You pretend to be his wife. That was it."

"Pretend of course" I whisper. His words snap me into realizing our actions; we had done far more than just pretend.

"Then I see my son with you!
Forehead kisses!
Hand holding" The king frowns and pushes a finger to his brow with annoyance. "I know my son is no blessed saint. I assume you two have done more than that?" He watches me enraged. I look to the floor and frown. I refused to answer or even a knowledge the question.

I knew the king wasn't mad at Theo. His philandering ways were the norm in the kingdom. He was mad because my poor unfortunate soul perverted his royal bloodline.

"The wedding is in three days Ima but now our scrolls and announcements are plagued with fist fights and sneak outs! A prince must not conduct himself like this!"

"Like what?" I charged, " I saw Theo today. The real Theo! He treated the people with respect and honor and care"

The king watches me, daring me to say the words no one dared speak to him. "It was never about giving him the throne. It was about your ego.
Theo will be a great king and it scares you.
It scares you that he will one day live to erase your faltering legacy"

That's where I should have stopped. Once the king heard my words he only saw red and stood to charge at me.

"How dare you!" He fumed, wrapping his hand around my arm. His grip was as lethal as his glare.
"It seems  like you have forgotten your place SERVANT"

"Gladatrix" I corrected him with a gusto so rich.

"You still serve me and bow to me at the end of the day!"

I stay quiet because of the accuracy of his statement. No matter how defiant I was against him, I was still a slave to this kingdom.
It was the only reason I was here...

He let go of my arm, turning to retreat to his throne chair. He leaned his jaw against his arm palm and pondered in silence. "You have already perverted my plan so I must fix it."

He snaps and two guards bring in his friend named Asim.

He bows to the king before turning his eyes towards me

"Asim has asked for your hand ro marry you"

"You said I would get my freedom after I was done here"

"Plans change" the king smirks, shrugging his arms nonchalantly. "But since you are already promised to Theo and he is actually emotionally in love with you you must break his heart first"

"You're heartless and He's not in love with me
We barely know each other" How dare he make a statement so bold. Theo? In love with me? He would never...

The king ignores me and scoffs at my cluelessness.

"Your aloof demeanor is endearing" he smirks, undressing me with his gaze.

Asim pulls out a dagger and holds it up to my face.

"What is this?"

"Well since Theo gave you the ring, my original plan won't work." The king speaks.

"Theo won this in combat. Us princes fought for the right to be called prince of Acedonia. Only one man was victorious.
This is his prized possession
He wears it everywhere and has never taken it off
He rather lose the ring he gave you than this dagger.
Here" Asim pushes it into my hand.

"What do you want me to do..." clarity sears me like a sword. "No...Noo!!"

"Make him hate you Ima.
It's the only way he'll be free from you. Then Asim can have you.
Theo has more pride than that. He will call off the wedding. Problem solved"

"And if I say no?"

Two guards come behind me with their swords drawn"

"You cant kill me" I fumed, anger rising within my soul.

"Silly girl, you are not a princess nor the daughter of dignitary. You're forgettable"

I fume because I knew he was serious.

I refused to take it.
I cared about my life more than Theo's right to the throne but I would not tarnish my name.

The king turns to Asim. "Hide it somewhere so he can discover it"

"So he'll think I'm a thief.
I'll tarnish the trust I built with him"

"That's the new plan Ima. You must make him hate you
So much he calls of the wedding"

"But will he still be king? He fufilled his part of the bet."

"That is of no concern to you Ima"

"You're an evil king"

The king chuckles and claps excitedly.  You say it as it is a not a compliment?"

"I'll tell him. Once I leave this room, I will tell him and your plan will never go through"

The king snaps and two guards come and grab my arms to carry me out. "Let me...ummoh...go!" I bash and wiggle, trying to break free.

The guards carry me past the doors into a spacious and elegant room.  Although it looked comfortable, I could tell it was one that was locked from the outside.

Asim comes up to me and smirks, watching me carefully. I refuse to speak to him, only watching him intently.
"F**ck.
I want you so bad"

I pretend to smile and lift my eyes towards his.
"You, will NEVER have me"

He snatched my jaw, pulling me into his lips. I try to hit him off but he grabs my wrists and holds them.

"FU*CK" he curses as he pulls away after I but his lips. "Don't worry, I'll fix your defiance soon"
He smirks before letting me go and leaving the room.