31. The Ring

Ima

"Theo.
Ima.
The king would like to see you" Levit announces behind us.

Theo grabs my shoulders, forcing me to face him. "Don't talk. Don't look.
Don't say a thing.
I'll explain and do all the talking." He says through a frown. I nod silently. It's not like words could come out.

Boy, did I mess up big time.

——

I try to focus on the task at hand but the opulent chamber adorned with regal tapestries and golden embellishments distracted me. The king's commanding presence consumed the room. He sat on a grand throne at the center of the throne, dressed in royal garb.

His expression clouded with frustration.

I couldn't help but peek over at Theo whose face was now etched with defiance.

"Horses
Fake rings.
A fight in the city? Bathhouses" The king slams his hand on the armrest of the throne, his voice booming with authority.
I jumped from the sound but Theo was immobile. I guess he was used to it. "The disgrace! How are we going to fix this!"

"In due time, we will your majesty.
A letter must be sent out." One of the advisers spoke.

I hadn't noticed but I was holding Theo's arm. He in turn stood tall and astute. He took most of the blows from his father; even I knew some were directed at me.

"How dare you defy my orders and indulge in such reckless behavior?!" The king continues.

Theo stands tall, his eyes locked with the king's, his defiance unwavering. I hated to be so unserious, but it made me blush. He looked even more attractive.

"I merely sought adventure. I am tired of being confined to these palace walls, suffocating under the weight of your expectations. And I am not working to be the king?
How foolish would it be to govern a state I have never stepped foot in"

The king's face reddens with anger, his voice now laced with disappointment. "You think you now more than me? You will never be king! I was foolish to think you could handle it"

"You made a promise to me father. To go back on your word—"

"MY WORD? You will NEVER be king until the day my soul leaves this earth and my corpse is cold and burried in the pyramids!" The King rises from his throne, towering over his son, his voice filled with a mix of anger and concern.

Theo smiles, taking his ring off and showing it to his father. "You said, if I put this ring on the woman you approve, I shall be king."

The room falls into a tense silence as the king gazes upon his son, his anger quickly rising for he had met his foe. His own oath has been his demise.

After a moment of contemplation, Theo steps closer to me. I grab Theo's arm, forcing him to rethink the situation.
No! He couldn't. I wasn't ready... I mean...

He grabs my waist and takes the ring, forcing it onto my hand. "Queen Ima" he whispers staring into my eyes.

Theo presses his lips against mine in direct defiance. To his father, to the kingdom, to me.

"Be my queen Ima. You'll have your freedom. You won't have to fight!"

"Theo... I" but before I could finish, his father cuts me off. He starts clapping manically then breaks into a fit of laughter.

"We'll played some. Well played." He hums. He stares at me and frowns. "Theo. I would like a few words with Ima if you don't mind"

Theo watches me carefully before kissing my forehead. "I'll stay close" he whispers. I nodded and gently grab his hand for warmth. The king was a powerful man. Anything I say or do could be used against me.

Author Note
Wow! So Theo basically said FU and said idc, I'm gonna be king!