33. Misunderstanding

Theo

I pace around the room waiting for Ima to emerge. I had to distract myself lest I go insane. My walls. Yes, I never noticed how decorated my room was. I continue pacing back and forth, glancing at the guards as they walk by.  I glanced at the time keeper on the wall, the dropping of sand quickly became  unbearable. Ima's absence taunted me with unanswered verdict.

I adjust my robes and take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart.

"Come on, come on. Why is it taking so long?" I whisper to myself. I run my fingers through my hair, my eyes darting around the room, seeking any distraction from the agonizing wait.

"Where is she?" I charge as Levit enters into the room.  He is silent.

"Tell me!
You owe me that" I shot back again. His silence was driving me mad.

——

I walk to the room Asim tells me and see Ima.
She looked shaken up. As if she had seen a ghost.

"Ima! What happened?" My feet paced to her side. "What did he say! He didn't threaten you?
Did he touch you!" My questions came out all at once.

"No..Theo.
No! I'm fine!" She shouts, hitting me off before walking away.

I grab her wrist, preventing her from ignoring me. I hold her jaw carefully, staring into her beautiful brown orbs. What did he say?
Why did he lock you in here

"What did he say to you?
Why did he lock you in here."

She looked as if she was about to cry.

"Tell me" I plead.
She looks into my eyes.

"Theo..." and instantly she begins crying, burying her head into my arms. It was the first time I had seen her cry and it scared me.

I comfort her, pulling her into my warmth before kissing her lips devotedly.

We kiss desperately, passionately. I vowed from that day that my lips would never touch another.
I could deny my feelings no longer.
I saw a future with Ima.
Our future.

I didn't care what my father said or what orders he gave the guards. I carry her to my bedroom, devoted to make her forget all her worries.

——-

The next morning came and I was woken up to the yells and shouts from outside my room.

"Where's the cake!"
"Where are thé robes for thé prince"

Sunlight streams through the windows, illuminating the umber hue of Ima's beautiful skin. I reached out, brushing a stray lock of curls from Ima's face, my fingertips lingering on her cheek, making her smile.
She was still sleeping blissfully.
She was so beautiful.

I sat up and look at the disarray. Our clothes were in a pathetic pile on the floor.

I knew it was time to start my day so I emerge from the sheets and head to the bathroom to freshen up.

In the bathroom, I splash my face with water before looking at my reflection in the mirror. As I made mental notes in my head, my gaze averted to a golden reflection in the pocket of her bag.
I had asked the guards to bring it for me, seeing that she was locked in the room before.

My Curiosity got the best of me as I moved closer to inspect it. Ima didn't have any jewelry so it struck my as odd.

I peek inside and am shocked to see my golden dagger?!
What?
I hadn't even known it was missing!

I hear her wrestle awake and hide it away. "Theo?" Ima groans.

I would give her the chance  to explain herself.
Maybe I saw something or misunderstood the situation at hand.

I turn to face her and watch her. She sat up, the sheets falling gracefully around her. She looks at me with a mixture of nervousness and embarrassment.

She stands, wrapping the blanket around her body, before coming behind me to kiss my back.
"Good morning" She whispers between a kiss.

"Morning" I bend over to wash my face again. She hums and hugs me from behind kissing me repeatedly. The reflection of the golden dagger still ran through my mind.

Ima wraps her arm around my waist and instinctively I open my own, pulling her closer.

"Why did my father lock you in that room?"

She remains quiet.

Don't drop that!!
The wedding caters in the background made her frown and look away.

She stops to regain her thoughts and looks at me again. "Theo... what would make you call off the wedding? Our wedding?"

"What" I laugh, confused by her words.

"What's something that would make you... hate me?"

"What's the worst thing you can do to me? hmmm" I smirk. There was nothing she could. But the image of my dagger raced in my mind. Would I really call off the wedding for that?

"I'm serious Theo" she says, ".. I mean why do you still want to get married to me?
It's still pretend right?"

My stomach dropped as she said the words.
It seemed as if I was the only one who did not get the memo. Or maybe I had purposely ignored it.
Pretend

This was so difficult.
I wanted everything to be real.

"Of course it's still pretend." I mutter emotionless, "Remember I have to marry you and must stay married for a year for the throne"

"Oh...right" she says.

"Why?" I ask her again.

"No reason"

I was getting impatient with her diverted answers and gazes. I grabbed her and looked into her eyes

"Why do yo insist on being untruthful
What did the king say to you"

"You're hurting me Theo!" She pouts.
I slowly let her go and she snatches away from me.

"I can't help you if you don't tell me" I urged.
She shuffles through her bag and stops before seeing something. Maybe the dagger?
She refuses to look at me and continues.

"Theo...I—" but before she could speak, the guards barged in.