13. A Fool

Ima

The loud cheers of the crowd filled the stadium seats as the night air breezes through the colleseum. The sand was hot and the air was thick with tension as I prepared to face a lion in the Colosseum.

The crowd roared as the gate to the lion's den was opened and the beast emerged, snarling and ready to attack.

I stepped forward, my sword at the ready. But before I could begin I was distracted by the loud murmurs of the crowd.

Prince Theo!
The prince came!
What an unexpected surprise!!

I craned my neck upwards and see the figure of the Prince in the distance. So he had followed me!! Anger consumed me as I saw him smirk.

"Are you ready for this?" His eyes said.  It was as if he was challenging me.

"As ready as I'll ever be," my eyes screamed back. I quickly refocused my eyes on the lion. The lion charged at me, its jaws snapping. I leapt out of the way, narrowly avoiding being bitten. I swung my sword at the lion, but it only grazed the animal's thick fur.

I lunged forward and thrust his sword towards the lion's chest. The lion roared in pain and rage, but it wasn't enough to stop its momentum.

I cursed, rolling to the dirt to avoid its claws. It swiped, knocking me to the ground.

The lion was quick but I was quicker. It pounced, eager to attack but I flipped back, maneuvering in a quick spin before I plunged his sword into the lion's back. The animal let out a final, guttural roar before collapsing to the ground.

The crowd erupted in cheers as they saw the defeat. I had emerged victorious.

"Great job Ima!" Hera screams and slaps my shoulders before running to preform her own show. I wish her good luck before walking lower into the stairs of the basement.

Before I could wipe off the blood from my chest I see Theo standing in the doorway. I almost didn't recognize him. He was dressed in dark robes and his face was covered.

"Want to explain why you snuck out?" He fumed.

"I rather not" I whisper. I could feel his glare as the room stayed quiet.

He took a dark cloak from the wooden chest and threw it into my body.
"Wear this.
We're going back. NOW!" He ruffed.

He started to walk outside so I could change but my voice stops him in his tracks.

"I don't know why I snuck out. I'm just rebellious okay!
I have been fighting all my life...and when someone tells me not to do something, I do it.."

He doesn't meet my eye. "This is the last time you'll ever step foot in here again."

I remain quiet.

"I'll be outside" he says in an impatient tone before storming up the stairs.

——

Theo

A fool. I must be a fool.

I stood on the edge of my balcony, watching as the smoke and dust cleared from the battle. My heart was pounding in my chest, and my hands were shaking. I couldn't believe that I had to watch Ima as she battled for her life.

I watched as she charged towards the lion, her sword held high. She was strong and fearless, a true warrior. I was proud of her, yes as much as I hated to admit it, but couldn't shake the feeling of fear and anxiety that gripped me.

As the battle raged on, I paced back and forth, my mind consumed by worry. I knew that Ima was skilled, but I also knew that events like these were unpredictable. Anything could happen, and I didn't want to lose her.

A fool!
You've only known her for a day and a half? Less than that! So why did my heart beat like the drills of a drum?
Lose her?
Theo listen to yourself!
You don't know her enough to lose her!

"What are you doing here?" a voice asked from behind me. I hadn't realized I had walked all the way to the lower level of the colosseum. I suppose my mind had drifted so far off.

I turned to see Ima's blonde haired friend standing behind me. I remembered her from the first night I met her.

"You couldn't stay away," she said, her voice prideful. I remain quiet, turning my head as I heard the visceral reactions of the crowds.
"I understand," the woman said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "She's a fighter, a true warrior. She knows what she's doing."

"I know," I said, running a hand through my brown hair. I watched as Ima fought on, her sword flashing in the moonlight. As the battle came to an end, I watched as Ima emerged from the smoke and dust, victorious.

She was bruised and bloody, but she was alive and for that I was thankful. She saw me standing on the edge of the basement and frowned. Her friend slapped her shoulder, whispered a few parting words before leaving us alone.

"Want to explain why you snuck out?"my voice was harsher than I intended it to be.

"I rather not" she whispers. The room stayed quiet.

I took a dark cloak from the wooden chest beside me and threw it at her.

We needed to get out of here, fast; lest we be followed.

"Wear this. We're going back. NOW!" I grumbled, turning to walk outside but her words stops me in my tracks.

"I don't know why?
I'm just rebellious okay!
I have been fighting all my life...and when someone tells me not to do something, I do it.."

I don't meet her eye. The sight of blood splattered across her body was enough to make me go insane.

How I wanted to hold her.
To bring her near me.
To touch her as proof. I needed to make sure she was real.
"This is the last time you'll ever step foot in here again."

She remains quiet.

"I'll be outside" I say in an impatient tone before storming up the stairs. I had never been so scared in my life, but seeing her alive made me feel sane.

A fool.