3. Gladatrix

Ima

The loud cheers of the crowd filled the stadium seats. The crowds were restless, eagerly waiting for the match to commence. Heat swells the air of the underground catacombs, making it harder for us to breathe. I look over at Helena as she polishes her bright and regal sword.

"Think there will be a woman in the crowd tonight?" Hera asks, trying to create casual conversation. It usually took my mind off the uncertainties of the match.

 It usually took my mind off the uncertainties of the match

She was wearing a helmet like this! This is important.

"Doubt it

"Doubt it." I whisper, bending to grab my own sword from the ground. It would be a plethora of men eager to watch us women fight, praying for a slip of our dress or a fall of our leather skirt.

Helena dusts off her silver leg piece, exposing the surface of her skin.

"These uniforms are ridiculous" I scoff, adjusting  the legnth of my red and brown uniform.
I pull my long curls into a tight ponytail before walking to the looking glass.

If the king could dress us in nothing, he would.

"Whooo" the men cheers ring from the arena. They stomp their feet and clap their hands, impatient to see the famous gladiatrix girls.

That was the name ladies like us were gifted upon coming to this kingdom.
I was a gladiatrax and so was Hera.

This was my punishment for betraying the kingdom.  My freedom was gone and I was a prisoner for the men's entertainment.

"Come on." Hera grabs my wrist guiding me to the entrance to fight. Her blonde curls shakes in the wind as we enter the dust filled arena.

"Whewwwwww!!!" The men screamed and shout as we came to the center. Disgusting. All of them.
But I had a job to do and a fight to win, lest I be killed for insubordination.

The first female comes from the gates of the arena. She was taller than Hera and I combined but what she had in height, we had in strength.

"You ready?" Hera asks, pulling out her sword from its holster. I smile and take out my own, bending into my position.