SEVENTY FOUR 🌸

ALGEBRA CONFUSED the hell out of my mind, I just didn't get it

ALGEBRA CONFUSED the hell out of my mind, I just didn't get it. Why did we even need to use letters for numbers anyway? The notion was ridiculous.

"Psst Fearny!" Aiden held up a book and pointed to it with a pencil. "Did you read it?"

No. I didn't. I was too busy with Arlo and then my father locked me in the chamber overnight.

"Yeah." I lied.

"Cool, we'll discuss at lunch." At the mere mention of lunch the school bell went off and everyone started gathering up their things.

Aiden and I walked out together but I stopped in my tracks once I got to the courtyard and spotted Arlo and Kara sitting together.

In my predominantly white high school he stuck out like a sore thumb. Our eyes latched onto one another as I walked past him and took a seat at our usual table.

"Who is that?" Sophia asked as she slumped herself down in the seat and took out last nights book.

Everyone around the courtyard was staring at him, whispering about him. I could hear them saying Kara had hit a new low, shacking up with a black man.

Arlo must've been aware but he didn't care, he carried on as normal, sitting on the table with his feet resting up on the seat. Kara didn't care either, but then she never did.

He was talking, laughing, singing. Kara laughed too, I don't think I had ever seen her smile before. I don't think I had ever seen anyone talk to her before, not like this.

"One of Kara's new men I suppose." Aiden replied, flipping the pages of his book open. "What did ya'll think of Amy's character?"

"You guys read at lunch?" Arlo came over to our table, Kara following after him.

The voices picked up all around us and nobody would stop staring.

"It's a book club." Aiden said sharply. "We're not accepting new members right now."

I didn't feel comfortable enough to look at Arlo, if I looked at him it was game over trying to hide this. So instead I looked at Sophia, her face was bright red and she was staring, mesmerised by him.

My brows furrowed at her. Arlo shoved some books aside and sat down at our table, next to Sophia. Kara sat next to me and I awkwardly shuffled away. He picked up the book and read the blurb.

"You read it or something?" Aiden snapped.

"Nah, I can't read." Arlo threw it back down on the table.

"You can't read?" I heard my voice ask. He looked at me simply and shook his head.

"Not books." He clarified, Aiden scoffed and Arlo raised his brows three inches higher.

"W-why?" Sophia squeaked, averting her blushing face away. Arlo turned to her, sensing her coyness. 

His eyes lit up with the force of his smirk, Sophia had become his prey.