I. BIG JOHN

CHAPTER ONEBig John

CHAPTER ONE
Big John

(NINE MONTHS AGO)

It's crazy how one day can simply change everything forever.

Avery Creed didn't handle change very well. There hadn't been a lot of things that stuck in her life. Losing her mother was the biggest change she had to face and it was the one thing that created her fear. For a little girl, it was confusing and made her cling to the consistent things she had.

Only yesterday, the news was given out to the island about a missing person. The officials stated that they were lost at sea and had formed a search. Nothing had occurred over the last twenty four hours. When Sheriff Peterkins turned up on the doorstep, Avery knew, although she was still struggling to accept it.

The girl swore to stick close to her best friend from that point on. Along with her other best friend, she stayed overnight at the Chateau and wasn't planning on leaving until John B kicked her out and changed the locks.

The bedroom was untouched. There were wrinkles in the duvet and a cup that had a mouthful of cold coffee left in the bottom. The windows were ajar, letting a warm breeze squeeze through and blow under the pages of the books that sat on the windowsill. The space gave her comfort, made her feel a little closer to the man that craved a soft spot for her over the years.

The girl stood by the window, gazing out at the two figures walking up from the docks. She reached down for the frame and slowly pushed it close, the last draft of air passed through the books and tickled the exposed skin on her stomach. Her eyes glanced down to see a familiar book, a copy of The Wreck Of The Mary Deare that she lent Big John a while ago.

Tears burned at the back of her eyes and throat, gradually making her vision blurry. Avery reluctantly took the book from the top of the pile and stepped backwards. She timidly reached up for the door handle and slowly pulling the bedroom door, she let out a shaky breathe as the latch clicked.

Silence sat between the two friends as they sat on the porch, letting their own thoughts run wild. The blonde stepped out of the house, a smile twitching at the sight of the sun setting. The sky that was painted with oranges and pinks, fading into a navy blue and stars are already poking out from the darkness.

Avery took a seat on the top step, not saying a word to either of the boys. They didn't think anything of it, hardly acknowledging her returning presence and continued to let everything sink in. Another thing she couldn't handle was silence, it made her incredibly uncomfortable. Usually she would crack a joke to start another conversation but she had to refrained herself from doing, knowing how to chose her comedic timing and right now definitely wasn't the time.