VI. THE CHATEAU

CHAPTER SIXThe Chateau

CHAPTER SIX
The Chateau

(ONE MONTH AGO)

The Sheriff hated to admit that she was growing a liking to Avery.

A smile threatened to slip across her face as she listened to the teen talk about her silly idea for reuniting with her best friends. Peterkin stayed quiet and listened, already sure that she wasn't going to do it, but let her have her moment for a little while longer.

"I can't do that," Peterkin hummed, quickly glancing at Avery who sat in the passengers seat before putting her eyes back on the road. "I swear you are trying to get me fired, Miss Creed"

Avery popped out her bottom lip, "Awh, come on, Susan. It would be so cool, you can't disagree"

"Watch yourself," She pointed a look over at her, rolling her eyes as she looked away from Avery's goofy smile. "I can easily make you walk. No matter how cool it would be"

"Exactly, I knew you couldn't disagree!" Avery let out a chuckle, leaning back into her seat with a evident smile.

After a moment of silence, the sheriff glanced over at the blonde that had finally stopped talking. She was sat dazing out of the window with the same grey cap on her head, watching the scenery whiz by. Peterkin found herself wanting to ask if she was okay, even though she knew it was a stupid question to ask.  She could see the walls surrounding Avery, they were high and it was obvious to see that she was wearing a smile as a disguise.

"Because I did all this for you, can you please do something for me?" Peterkin voiced softly, keeping her eyes on the road ahead. In the corner of her eye, she saw the girl nod in response. "Let your dad know"

"You know I can't do that, Sheriff" Avery mumbled, immediately looking back out the window. Out of habit, she intwined her hands and fiddled, feeling her heart ache in her chest at the simple thought of her father.

"I understand, and I don't want to make you do something you aren't ready for. But he's your dad, I know that deep down, you know that under the layers of hurt – the man you knew and loved is still there, Aves–"

"You just called me Aves, and only my friends call me that, does that mean we are friends?" Avery butted in, turning her head that rested against the headrest to peer at the woman with a childish expression upon her face.

Peterkin couldn't hold back the smile, letting it stretch across her lips as she stole a glance back at the girl, gradually coming to stop at the red light.