XLIV. FORGIVNESS

CHAPTER FORTY FOURForgiveness‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR
Forgiveness

(PRESENT)

They say intoxicated words are sober thoughts.

The sun had set a while ago. For the last five minutes, Avery and Sarah had been throwing would you rather questions back and forth, giggling like children together. Some had even made Kiara crack a smile. Avery choked on her laugh, trying to quieten herself as Sarah and Kiara began to talk things out.

Finally, Avery got her answers about their history, and a little more about Kiara's Kook year. She felt awkward sitting right between them, letting the conversation go over her as she inhaled the last couple hits of the blunt. Her stomach twisted as she listened to Kiara talk about being excluded from the party and being betrayed by Sarah. Although she also found herself softly gazing at Sarah once she admitted that she is afraid of getting close to people.

"What about me?" Avery whispered, dropping her gaze to her fiddling fingers.

"I don't know either," Kiara quietly admitted. "You left like I wasn't a reason to stay, like neither of us were. And honestly, I expected it. But that never meant it didn't hurt. To come home from the worst year of my life to find out you were gone, that hurt so much"

"You expected it?" Avery repeated with a frown. She reluctantly looked up and tilted her head slightly.

"Yeah. The way you always spoke about your mom. Like she never left. With so much love but in denial. I don't blame you for leaving to find her, not anymore" The brunette gently said, her eyes flickered between Avery's.

"She was my mom. Like John B said, you'll never understand how to feels to lose someone like that–"

"–Maybe I don't. But I have a pretty good idea" Kiara butted in, feeling guilty for her words as soon as she said them.  "Sorry"

"So, do you think there is a chance for us? I miss you, and love you, Kie. I'm so sorry" Avery hated how her voice quivered as she felt her throat get tight.

"Maybe" Kiara's lips tugged upwards ever so slightly.

"And you, Princess," Avery chuckled lowly and turned her head to face Sarah. "I never got to apologise for a lot of things, like screaming at you about your psycho ex boyfriend at that party"

"It's okay. You think we can be friends?" Sarah sincerely asked, offering the other blonde a small smile.

"Yeah, I think we can," Avery smiled back and nestled her head onto the Kook's shoulder. Sarah shuffled closer to her and gently leaned her head against hers.

The sight made Kiara uncomfortable. Both of them had been her best friends, each had their own problem to fix with her, and she'll admit that she was going to try harder to mend bridges with them. Before Avery could gesture her to join, Kiara stood up and wondered away, walking into the Alp.

"So, you and John B, huh?" Avery asked as she fought the cheeky smile that was gradually casting over her lips, feeling Sarah chuckle shortly.

"Uh, yeah. I don't know what to say" She replied, smiling a little wider at the thought of the boy.

"Can I ask you something?" The Pogue whispered and lifted her head from Sarah's shoulder, hearing her hum in reply. Avery sighed and looked up at the sky, "how did you know that, you know, uh–"

"That I was falling for him?" Sarah was slightly amused at Avery's awkwardness, assuming where this conversation was going. Avery nodded and looked over at her as she waited for response. "I don't know, honestly. I just knew. You know, it's cliché but true. Why do you ask?"

"No reason. Just wasn't expecting it, you know. But I think it's cool, I'm happy for you two" She quickly responded, trying to push the thought of a certain blond to the back of her head.

"Tell me to truth," Sarah's lips twitched into a smirk and she lightly nudged Avery with her elbow. The other blonde frowned at her. "John B told me you do this cute thing with your nose when you lie and you just did it. It like twitched, like a bunny–"

"Son of a–"

"–He also told me that you and JJ have this thing between you two. Is that why you asked me?" Sarah's smirk fell into a soft smile. She noticed Avery's scrunched up nose and subconsciously grabbed her hand that sat in her lap, "look, you don't have to tell me anything. I get it, it's confusing. If you need anything, I'm here, that's what friends are for"

Avery smiled gratefully and rested her head back on Sarah's shoulder, snuggling into a comfortable position. She let her eyes droop, "I knew you weren't so bad, princess"

 She let her eyes droop, "I knew you weren't so bad, princess"

AUTHORS NOTE!
apologies for the really slow updates. life has been a little hectic over the last two months and i'm trying my best to spare time to write. also, i've noticed that some of my dividers and edits have disappeared? not sure if that's only on my side, or yours as well? please let me know so i can re-edit them! thank you :)