XLVII. CLOSURE

CHAPTER FORTY SEVENClosure‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN
Closure

(PRESENT)

The green wooden shack was in view.

It looked the same, nothing had changed since she left. Expect the new range of handmade boards that were on display. The large plank of wood that was nailed to the front centre of the building was still slightly wonky and the bold painted letters were faded, some were more prominent than others.

L.C SURFING. Everyone always assumed that the store was called after her mother, and admired that because at the time, when Noah first opened it, he supposedly dedicated the name to his wife. It was honoured as a huge, romantic gesture.

Avery thought that for a while, until her mother walked out on them and for the first time, she questioned it. Her father called it after her instead. Avery's middle name is Lily, after her mother's favourite flower and that's how she was given the nickname, Lilypad, and Flower from her best friend in sixth grade.

In all honesty, Avery thought that it would be easy. She had faced her father already, and it went well, better than she expected, and she had seen the store since her return. Yet, there she was, standing outside the front door with her hand hovering over the door handle.

Her tongue wiped across her dry lips and she felt her fingers twitching. The sound of the little bell jingling snapped Avery out of her daze. She rapidly blinked and stumbled back as the creaky door pushed open from the other side.

The stranger raised his eyebrows at the girl as she awkwardly stepped out from behind the door. He curtly nodded at her as she offered a tight lipped smile and mumbled an apology. She watched him catch the door and hold it open for her, making her eye flicker between him and the entrance before she quickly thanked him and walked into the store.

It surprised her at how many memories the place held. She could picture the memory of Pope and John B standing at the sunglass rack, the Heyward boy just barely tolerating his friend as he put on all the ugliest and goofy pairs on him. And she remembered when Kiara helped her father build the racks and shelves, conversing about global warming and plastic usage. JJ used to visit her on her shifts and sit on the counter, poking and picking at everything he could.

"Woah, hey kid, you alright?" Noah asked, slightly amused at the stroppy antics of his daughter.

"No," She grumbled, smacking the beads out her face as she fumbled through the curtain and into the workshop. "When will JJ get it into his stupid pretty head that he can't shut me out and expect me to let him in. It takes two to tango. He frustrates me so much"

Noah chuckled, immediately pursing his lips once he caught the glare the blonde threw his way. He rubbed his hands on the stained cloth and shrugged, "he cares about you, Aves. He pushes your buttons because he knows you better than anyone else. Give him some credit"

"I know that. But he has been so weird with me lately, like more than usual and I don't know. I just want him to be honest and stop holding back" She admitted with a sigh, dropping the plastic bag on the worktop.

"You know that boy. You two will work whatever it is out, like you always do" Noah consoled, offering her a smile that she reluctantly reciprocated.

Her smile faltered and was replaced with a frown, "no, stop this"

"Stop what?" Her father forced a chuckle and raised his hands in surrender, confused about what she meant.

"We are pretending everything is fine and normal. Hoping that if we act like it is, then everything else disappears. We have to talk about it" Avery bluntly said, shaking her head.

"I know, kid, alright? I just don't know where to start" Noah looked down and paused for a moment before peering up at her, "why? Why did you leave?"

"I left to find mom. I found a open letter in the pile of mail with my name on it," She explained with a lump in her throat. Her mind was bringing back the memories and she could feel her heart aching. "Then I found all the rest of the letters, and cards and pictures, you hid in that draw in the kitchen"

"Look, Avery, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to keep them from you. But I had to, you understand that? You are better off away from that woman, hence why you came back, right?" Noah didn't intend to sound as hostile as he came across. His tone was stern and made Avery frown.

"That woman was my mother" She said matter-of-factly, titling her head as she leaned on her arms, palms pressed against the wooden counter.

"No, she wasn't Avery. You remember the good moments, all times she used to act like your mother–"

"– Oh, so, I don't remember the arguments and restless nights? Her spiteful comments, the things she said to me. Of course I do, I thought she hated me, Dad. For so long, I thought my own mother hated me and that it was my fault" She was quick to cut him off.

Noah threw the rag that he had been holding down onto the counter and scoffed, "her illness wasn't anyone's fault. Hell, it sure wasn't your fault she had demons. And I know that in her heart, she loved you, so god damn much, Avery"

"That wasn't the only thing," She blurted out. Her heart dropped to her stomach as soon as the words fell from her lips. Her father's body language changed almost immediately, his muscles relaxed and he crossed his arms over his chest, staring at her intently. Avery swallowed the lump that was rising in her throat and looked down at her hands, "did you know that Mom hid one hundred million in gold?"

"What are you talking about, Aves-" Noah started, frowning heavily as he watched his daughter push herself away from the counter.

"I know you know more than you think I do, Dad" She cut him off, narrowing her eyes at him.