XXVI. GIRL TALK

CHAPTER TWENTY SIXGirl Talk‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
Girl Talk

(PRESENT)

This was a stupid idea.

"Avery, Pope, we're not stealing the drone. We're borrowing it" John B clarified, not convincing the pair at all.

"Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality" Pope quoted, sitting behind John B with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Wait, did you come up with that?" The brunet questioned, making Avery mockingly roll her eyes at him.

"It's a quote from Albert Bernstein" She corrected him. Pope sent her a small, appreciative smile at her and she curtly nodded back.

"But it applies to this whole treasure hunt thing" Pope continued, resting his arm over his seat and twisting his body slightly. "So, which is it? Fantasy or reality?"

"Why are you two so weird?" JJ butted in, focusing on rolling a blunt.

The blonde next to him nudged her shoulder against his, as she sat on the van floor with him. He cracked a smug smile, briefly looking over at her and placed the roll between his lips. Kiara answered the question, saying it was fantasy but possibly reality, which made Avery smile to herself, realising that she was starting to believe too. John B replied with reality and longingly stared back at the girl, the moment didn't go unnoticed to Avery.

"Virtual reality" JJ mumbled with his lips sealed around the joint. He flicked open his lighter and sparked a light, carefully bringing it towards him. Before he could light the end, Pope reach over and was about to snatch it from his lips but Avery beat him to it.

"Keep the signal clear" The Heyward boy pointed, raising his eyebrows as he glanced between the two blondes. He saw Avery sneak the joint into her plaid shirt pocket.

Shortly after, John B put the van in park. Avery ignored JJ and Pope's never ending bicker and hooked her fingers around the door handle, sliding it open as Kiara hoped out the same side, wondering around the front of the vehicle. She was about to step out when JJ spoke up, causing her to pause and turn her head to face him again.

"Hey, be careful" He told her, his eyes flickering between hers. She gave him a tight lipped smile, he could tell that she was nervous and didn't like the plan but was going to go through it for them.

"Always am" Avery nodded curtly. He outstretched his hand and placed it on the back of her head, gently pulling her towards him so he could place a chaste kiss on her forehead.