VII. REUNION

CHAPTER SEVENReunion

CHAPTER SEVEN
Reunion

(ONE MONTH AGO)

Words weren't enough.

John B felt a surge of adrenaline shoot through his body, from his toes to his head, as soon as his wide honey eyes landed on a face he hadn't seen in six months. His lips parted but no words came out, his brain was unable to even think about a coherent sentence. Before he could even think, his feet unglued and he ran down the porch steps, tripping over his own foot and regaining balance.

His body collided with Avery's, if it wasn't for his arm wrapped around her waist, she would have been knocked over by the blow. The blonde froze for a moment, craning her neck as she was squashed in his hold, resting her chin on his shoulder. Her small arms snaked around his shoulders, pulling him closer to her.

"I knew it," John B mumbled. He pulled away, keeping her in his grip, just enough to see her face. He beamed, a grin spreading across his lips as he took her in, "I knew you were out there"

"Hello to you to," She chuckled as he pulled her close again. He refused to let go, afraid that she would leave again, although he was slowly suffocating her. Avery patted his back, "Okay, I missed you too, buddy, but I can't breathe"

The sound of movement caught Avery's attention as she was reluctantly released from John B's embrace. Her hazel eyes peered over the brunet's shoulder, meeting a pair of blue eyes. She hadn't realised how much she really had missed them until they were looking back at her again.

"Hi" Avery whispered, not overly sure if he actually heard her. Suddenly, her smile had faltered, leaving her skin to tingle and overly aware of her pounding heartbeat.

This was a moment that she anticipated from the moment she left town. She had imagined it going so many ways, convincing herself that she would be able to handle it. Yet, there he was, standing in front of her and it was nothing like she had imagined.

The blond stared at her, almost forgetting to blink, it was as if he was afraid to. He didn't want to look away for a split second to find that she was never actually there. His fingers unconsciously twitched by his sides, feeling to strong urge to reach out, to have her under his touch for the first time in months. Something he didn't think, only hoped, for again.

"Avery," His voice quivered ever so slightly. He took a step closer and felt his breath hitch at the realisation that she was in his reach. Subconsciously, his hand rose from his side and slowly rested against her cheek. Feeling his eyes burning, JJ whispered, "it's really you?"