XVII. DIVER DOWN

CHAPTER SEVENTEENDiver down

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
Diver down

(PRESENT)

The group somehow still hadn't learned to never listen to JJ and his ideas.

Avery was reluctant to disobey Peterkins wishes. After all the woman went through to clear her name, it felt wrong of her to go against her, even for John B and this hunt. For some reason, that she still is questioning, she caved and joined in with the plan to dive down to search the wreck again.

Although, of course, something was bound to go wrong. John B had stolen tanks from his rich, Kook boss, only to find out that they were empty. They were left with one tank with only a quarter of air which was barely enough for one person. Pope and Avery spent the last five minutes poking at John B for the mistake, throwing witty comments at him with every chance they got, making each other snicker and high-five behind the other's backs.

"Does anybody know how to dive?" Kiara asked. She honestly wasn't expecting a helpful answer, looking around at her friends. "Anybody?"

"It's kind of a Kook sport–"

"–Kookiest thing ever" Avery and JJ spoke in unison. Blue met green and their lips split into a smile. Avery gave hin a wink before looking back at Kiara who sighed, missing the bashful smile stretching across JJ's face.

"I read about it" Pope admitted, not sounding overly confident.

"Great, Pope read about it so, someone's gonna die" Kiara snarkily replied, shrugging her shoulders. The boy fought the urge to roll his eyes at her.

"Look, you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?" JJ looked at Pope for reassurance.

"Well, if you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood and you get the bends" Pope stated. Avery nodded along to what he was saying, remembering the article she had forwarded to him once because of a debate they were having.

"The bends, like," JJ deadpanned, bending at the hips. "Bend over and–" 

"The bends kill you" Avery had to resist the urge to crack a smile at his stupid position. She teasingly reached over and smacked his backside, making him laugh with her.

"I can dive" John B said, making the two girls look at him like he was crazy. JJ mumbled under his breathe and agreed, slightly disturbed by the fact he had just learned and wasn't willing to find out any more.