XV. BONEYARD

CHAPTER FIFTEENBoneyard

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
Boneyard

(PRESENT)

Sound of loud commotion caused Avery to halt.

The Boneyard was only a few metres away from where she stood. She squinted at the distanced view of bopping heads and fists, red cups pumping up in the air as the crowd screamed and cheered. Something inside her didn't let her turn her back and walk away. She had a gut feeling that something was happening, and it wasn't good.

"Stop!" A familiar voice yelled over every other sound. It was Kiara's voice and was enough to make Avery cave, breaking into a jog as she trailed down to the yard.

Unfortunately, there were locals mixed within the crowd and when she shoved through the bustling teenagers, attention was drawn to her. The missing girl returns. All the rumours were proven true. Avery avoided the gazes that fell onto her, keeping her head down and focused on getting through to the front.

To much of her dismay, as she tripped out from the party mob, her hazel eyes found John B's soaking wet figure. The boy was squaring up to a Kook, egging Topper on as he continued to scream at him and ensure that he got back to his feet after every hit he took. Avery was surprised at how well he was doing, fully taking the upper hand as he tackled Topper and dunked him into the shallow waves.

"Come on, Topper!" John B screamed at the top of his lungs, bouncing on the balls of his feet with fire in his eyes.

"John B, what the fuck?" Avery yelled out, heaving out a breath as she glared at the back of her friends head. She looked around at the teenagers that were chanting, catching some fellow Pogue's eye and scolding at them, "what are you looking at?"

Spotting Avery amongst the scene made Kiara almost cry. Feeling a pair of eyes on her, Avery whipped her head round to lock eyes with her old friend, failing to offer a reassuring smile. The blonde rapidly made her way over to Kiara, missing the sight of Topper dominating the fight and flipping John B into the water, hovering over him.

Avery's eyes snapped back to the fight, gasping at the position the two had gotten themselves into. The Kook didn't hold back as he forced John B's head under water, letting the waves crash over them. She instinctively and blindly reached for Kiara's hand, clenching her jaw so hard, feeling it starting to ache. Her heart was pounding and her throat tightened, she was riddled in fear. Fear of losing her best friend to a stupid fight, possibly in the same way he lost his own father.

"Get off of him!" Avery screamed, about to launch forward but Kiara squeezed her hand tightly and yanked her back.

"He's drowning him" Pope panicked, his brown eyes were wide and his pupils were dilating as adrenaline rushed through him.

"I know" Kiara helplessly responded.

"This isn't happening" Avery spat, yanking her hand from Kiara's and sprinting away.

In the corner of her eye, she noticed JJ approaching. Although she only spotted the gun when it was being held up to Topper's head. She chocked on her breath, halting in her tracks as she stared at JJ who hovered over the Kook.

Every ounce of her trusted him and she knew that JJ would never do anything to harm another, not even for his friends, or himself. It wasn't in his blood, his heart didn't beat like that. But the sight was enough to make her doubt him for a spilt second.

Through all his friend's voices that bawled at him, the one voice he heard the clearest was Avery's. She was close and timid, trying her best to not let her voice tremble, "JJ, it's okay. Drop it"

"Put the gun down!" Sarah's voice butted in and his knuckles tensed as his grip firmly wrapped back around the gun.

"Did you say somethin', princess?" He called back, not flinching from his position as he held the power.

"We're good. We're good" Topper pleaded. He released his hold on John B to raise his hands in surrender. That was enough to bring JJ to lower the weapon and push him down.

"Can you check your psycho boyfriend, please?" Sarah yelled, her eyes glaring at Avery. Her words caused the Pogue's blood to boil and her eyes flickered over at her.

"What was that, princess? Go on, say it again!" Avery taunted and stormed over to Sarah before she could aid her douche boyfriend.

"Avery, stop!" Kiara cried out but was too late. She gasped in shock as she watched Avery violently shove Sarah backwards, the sound of gunshots was the only thing that stopped her.

With one last burning glare, Avery rushed over to John B. She would deal with JJ later, right now, she needed to get to the brunet. The water soaked through her sundress, the light green fabric darkening as the waves splashed up at her. She didn't hesitate to drop to her knees and grab onto her friend, using all her strength to pull him up and into her.

"John, hey. Hey, it's okay, look at me" She whispered, her voice trembled as she was on the verge of bursting into tears.

His glossy, bloodshot honey eyes slowly blinked up at her. John B knew she was there with him, seeing her blurry figure hanging over him. He almost immediately fell into her, his weight crashing onto her petite body caused her to rock back. She struggled keep herself balanced, sitting on her knees, and his head above water. For a second, she failed, tumbling backwards and accidentally lowering his face.

"No, JB, stay with me. Come on!" She cried, caving to the urge and blinking, letting the tears roll down her face. She lightly tapped his cheek, observing how his closed eyes flickered before looking up and calling out, "someone help me!"

It took the four a while to lift John B's body out of the shallow waters and onto land. They continuously bickered about how they were going to get him back to the Chateau safely, also while shooting comments at JJ and reminding him that they hadn't forgotten about his reckless action.

"Shut up, shut up. Shut up!" Avery snapped, almost immediately silencing that argument and drawing everyone's attention to herself. She pointed at JJ, "you, got get it the van. Kie, Pope, help me carry him. And I'll drive"

"You can't drive stick" Pope deadpanned.

AUTHORS NOTE!i would generally like to know how the pogue's got jb back after the fight

AUTHORS NOTE!
i would generally like to know how the pogue's got jb back after the fight. this chapter actually had a total different outcome originally but i felt like it didn't fit well and settled with this one, which worked a lot better! also, avery is a badass!