XXXVIII. MIDSOMMERS

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHTMidsommers‿︵‿︵‿︵

Midsommers

(PRESENT)

While the boys had their plan, Avery had one of her own.

"Great, I'm right on time for the villains appearance" Avery's voice startled the two Pogues.

The crowd of Kooks erupted in applause. Everything was so perfect, and so fake. The lion's den was probably the last place Avery wanted to be but she had to. For her father. This was the plan. She couldn't believe that she was actually going through with it, unconvinced that she was actually ready.

Her green eyes drifted away from the Cameron's arrival, widening when they met Kiara and Pope's gazes. She suddenly felt insecure, shuffling on her feet as she looked down at herself, flapping around the gown. "What? Do I look–"

"You look great" Pope quickly reassured, making her cheeks warm.

"Wait, how did you get in?" Kiara frowned, cautiously looking around to see no one had even noticed the uninvited Pogue.

"Played the Dad card" She nonchalantly said, offering the pair an unconvincing smile. They both had an inkling that she was up to something, yet neither of them chose to ask.

"Ah, Avery— Oh my, don't you look great, my darling" Heyward popped up. Dressed in his brown apron and large gloves, the man was thrilled to see her again.

"Thank you, Sir. Kiara let me play dress up, didn't you, Kie?" Avery smiled at Heyward, turning to look at her friend.

The girl caught onto what she was doing and forced a laugh, "Yes, I did. Have to please the date, or lady–"

"Exactly. It's good to see you again, Heyward," Avery swooped in before Kiara ruined their cover. "Uh, is my dad helping you tonight?"

"He sure is! Think he would love to see you. Told me that you hadn't come back home. Where have you been, and are you okay?" Heyward was genuinely worried about the girl. Similarly to Kiara's parents, he favourited her over the rest of the group. He was also good friends with Noah.

"Uh, you know me, Sir. I'm always doing something," She faked a giggle and shrugged her shoulders. "But I've been safe, don't worry. And I'm okay"

"Well, I should get back to this. Come back to see me before you leave, and enjoy the night" Heyward kindly said before turning back to what he was doing.

"What?" Avery uttered out. Pope and Kiara looked at her in shock, and amusement, at how easily she can lie and wiggle herself out of anything. "Oh, come on. I need a drink"