LV. THE PHANTOM

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVEThe Phantom‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE
The Phantom

(PRESENT)

"I'm so sorry, Miss Anna!" Avery yelled, ducking into the vehicle. JJ took the front seat, peering back to make sure she was safely in.

Unfortunately, next stop was JJ's. Avery still wasn't filled with confidence about this part of the plan. The thought of JJ going back into that house, seeing his Dad again, she didn't want him to. He could tell she was anxious, even since the moment they mentioned it, he knew she would react. Without looking back, he blindly reached his hand back. It took a moment for him to feel anything but as soon as her hand slipped into his, he wrapped his fingers around her hand.

"Home sweet home" JJ spoke up, dropping his girl's hand.

Avery leaned forward, resting her chin on the corner of his seat. "Do you want me to come? Because I will"

"No," He swallowed, removing his hand to run a hand through his hair. The cap landed gently on her head and she offered him a soft smile. "This will only take a second"

Watching him head towards the house made her stomach turn. Kiara tried to reassure her by telling her that he was going to be okay, and that they will stay until he comes back. She only nodded at her words before scooting over the seats to fling open the car door and hop out. The sound of the door shutting caused JJ to glance back, noticing her standing against the car with is hat on. It was a small gesture that made his heart skip a little.

Minutes felt like hours. They stuck to their word, remaining parked until JJ returns. Avery could of cheered at the sound of JJ's door being kicked open. She pushed herself off the car and opened the door. This time, JJ followed her into the backseats. The two blondes shuffled into the seats and silence fell between them all.

Kiara was the first to speak, "how'd it go?"

Wasn't long until the two girls were listening to JJ fawn over the Phantom boat. Avery admired him, noticing a small glimmer in his eye as he spoke. They were about to get it moving when they heard an engine roll in. Kiara assumed it was finally Pope arriving, heading in the direction of the sound. Avery glanced up to see her pause, another figure appeared from the back end of the boat.

"Hey there, what's going on?" Rafe was last last person Avery wanted to see. "JJ? How you guys doing?"

A whistle came from behind JJ and Avery, causing JJ to instinctively push her behind him. Barry appeared too, cocking his gun at the blond boy. "Well, well. See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money!"

"JJ!" Avery yelled, her body being pushed back by JJ's as Barry swung at him. She helplessly stood, watching Barry manhandle her boyfriend on the ground.

"It's not you we want, Kie. Where's John B?" Rafe got close to Kiara, making Avery panic even more. She flinched as Kiara smacked the kook.

"Stay down, boy," Barry threatened. He lifted the gun and pointed it towards Avery. She turned to see the gun pointing at her, freezing. JJ immediately stopped moving on the ground. "I don't wanna have to shoot your girl now, do I?"

Barry dropped the gun to his side and looked back down to JJ. Avery's eyes were watery, making her vision blurry. While JJ laid on the ground and took the beating, Kiara was grabbed by Rafe. Suddenly, something moved in the corner of her eye and caught her attention. She spotted Pope creepy up behind Rafe, his eyes met hers and he gave her a small nod.

As Pope struct Rafe, Barry lost his focus on JJ to step in to help Rafe. Before Barry could get close and pull out his gun, Avery scooted her foot under his and he fell to the floor. His hand opened to protect himself, leaving the gun to fall with him. She was quick to kick the gun from reach. As soon as the gun was scrapping across the floor, she turned round to see Barry pushing himself up to his feet. She didn't hesitate to throw a punch, catching him as he turned around to face her, landing the hit on his cheek.

"That's my girl!" JJ yelled before stepping in, knowing Barry wouldn't think twice about laying his hands on her. Avery stumbled back as JJ fought with Barry, twirling around at Kiara's desperate voice.

"Pope! Okay, Pope!" She yelled, hoping he would listen but he was seeing red, taking every opportunity to lay every hit he could on the Kook.

Avery rushed over, "Pope that's enough! Pope!"

None of them could get him to snap out of it. Pope had found a rope and wrapped it round Rafe's neck, tightening his grip. JJ and Avery grabbed him, trying their best to pray his grip off the rope. Avery could feel how tense his body was, his arms and hands were flexing, showing that he was using as much strength as he had. It was only when he finally listened to Kiara and looked at her, almost immediately letting go. Rafe crumbled to the ground, struggling for air.

"Okay, we gotta go. We gotta go" Kiara breathlessly said.

As Kiara and JJ started to move, Pope stepped over Rafe, "stay off the cut"

"Murderer" Avery spat. She stood over him, feeling powerful for a moment. Her anger burned inside her, she hated to admit that she wished that they didn't have to stop Pope from killing him. He was a murderer, him and his father had destroyed everything for her friend. She grabbed Pope and dragged him along with her.