XXVII. THE WRECK

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVENThe Wreck‿︵‿︵‿︵

The Wreck

(PRESENT)

She felt her stomach grumble at the sight of The Wreck restaurant.

"What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now" JJ dreamily announced, stepping out of the side door.

"It would not be pretty" Pope replied, following him out of the vehicle.

Hoping out the passenger side, Avery closed the door behind her and trailed after the group. An arm dropped around her shoulders, she immediately knew it was JJ, feeling warmth radiating off him and getting a hit of his scent, sea salt and weed. She wrapped her arms loosely around his waist as they slugged towards the restaurant.

It dawned on her when they entered the restaurant and Kiara greeted her father, the sight pulled at her heartstrings. Avery met Mr C's gaze. She subconsciously pulled away from JJ's hold and walked over to the duo, a nervous smile playing on her lips.

"Hey, Mr C" Her voice was wobbly. She had shielded away from too much public exposure, afraid of facing everything, especially her father. But she didn't feel like fighting against it tonight, she was tired and hungry.

"Avery, you're back," The brown eyed man said, although his tone sounded questioning. He cracked a weary smile, "how are you?

"I'm good. I like what you have done with the place" She complimented the few minor changes around the place.

He chuckled lowly and glanced around, "Thank you. Uh- your dad came by the other day, asking for you. Have you not been to see him?"

Before she left, Avery was fairly close with Kiara's family. Out of the group, they preferred her over the boys, seeing her as a better influence. She always was polite and friendly, and her father was a good friend of theirs too. They admired her friendship with their daughter, loving that Kiara had a good friend in the Cut.

"It's complicated. Um, but- but if he comes by again, can you tell him I'm okay? Or don't mention anything" Avery stumbled on her words. Mr C read her easily, seeing that she was stuck in a predicament and as much as he wanted to tell Noah, as a father, that she was okay, he was going to go against it and respect her.

"It's okay, Creed, I won't say anything" He sent her a soft smile that she was grateful for, mumbling a thanks.

"Guess now is not the best time to ask for free food for me and my friends?" Kiara spoke up. She smiled up at her father like child asking for another cookie, making Avery bite back a giggle.

Mr C sighed and looked over at the three boys loitering, "look at them. They're greedy pelicans. I thought I told you to stop hanging out with these guys"

Suddenly Avery felt awkward. She wasn't sure if she wanted to interfere and stand up for them, or shrink away and let Kiara handle it. Her hazel eyes flickered between the two Carrera's, slowly taking steps backwards and away from the counter. She didn't want to make more of a scene than she already has.

"Well, everybody at the Kook Academy hates me, Dad" Kiara fired back, stealing a glance over at Avery who visibly haltered at the mention of the Kook year.

"Cause you never gave them a chance" Mr C defended, raising his eyebrows at her.

"I did give them a chance. They got all stuck up on me. They care more about shoes than surfing. What am I supposed to do with that?" His daughter argued, shrugging her shoulders as he sighed heavily at him. She looked over at Avery and then at the boys, "these are my friends"

Mr C looked over at Avery, who wasn't paying any attention as she was watching JJ, smiling goofily at him as John B slapped his peace sign down. He caved, "look. Well, I— I got, I gotta throw it out. Might as well take it"

Avery's eyes blinked back over to the pair, immediately shifting away when Kiara pulled her father into a hug. She was already walking towards her friends, mumbling a thank you to Mr C as her friend released her father, also thanking him and twirling around to tell the boys to sit down.

The leftovers had never tasted better than they did in that very moment. Avery snatched a handful of fries from John B's plate, almost getting her finger bitten as the boy was filling his mouth with the salty snack. It wasn't long until the boys were challenging each other, trying to catch fries in their mouths, failing miserably and wasting a dozen good fries. Kiara was quick to scold at them for making a mess.

Her lips were pulled into a smile as JJ placed his hat onto her head, causing her hair to fall into her face. She wined as stray hairs got stuck to her damp lips, struggling to sip her cold cup of water. He chuckled at her and flicked the accessory up, brushing her cheeks with both hands.

"Oh, I love this song" Avery gushed, closing her eyes for a moment as she listened to the tune start.

Peeling open her eyes, she quirked an eyebrow, watching Kiara dancing to the tune. She also let out a cheer when the girl encouraged John B to get up and dance with her. Avery threw a fry at the brunet and successfully caught his attention, sending him a teasing smirk, making him roll his eyes at her.

"Dance with me" Avery sweetly smiled, looking over at JJ. The boy nearly chocked on his drink, surprised at the request. She knew he couldn't dance.

Somehow she got him to his feet and dragged him along with her, finding a good space near the jukebox and John B and Kiara. JJ took his bottom lip between his teeth, the smile on his face grew wider as Avery took his hands in hers. They swayed to the music and giggled together, busting a few ridiculous moves.

"Come here" He whispered, pulling on her hand that rested in his. She obeyed and stepped closer to him, dropping her hand from his hold and resting her forearms over his shoulders as his hands fell to hold her waist.

"Told you he likes her" John B smugly smiled, leaning over the table to steal a taste of whatever Pope had just been served.

"Again, I thought we already knew this?" Pope mumbled with a mouthful, smacking John B's hand away a little too late.

AUTHORS NOTE!
pope knows it!! this was super cute and i really liked writing this one. everyone loves avery, ahh she's my baby. so much more soft javery is coming up :)