XIV. MILKAUKEE BEVERAGE

CHAPTER FOURTEENMilwaukee beverage‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
Milwaukee beverage

(PRESENT)

Catastrophically stupid was the wording Avery was looking for.

For the last few hours, the Pogue's had been trying to convince Pope and Avery about their plan. The girl was not as reluctant as her friend was, the only thing on her mind was being caught be her father. She wanted to join in on every dumb plan they created but she couldn't risk everything, not right now.

Which was why she decided not to join the rest of the crew at the Boneyard. Although it took a lot of convincing, mainly JJ and John B, and willpower. Her best friend's were forgetting about the potential risks and was consumed with the hope that they could just have a good time together, like they used to. But they came to realise that they couldn't win the argument, remembering how stubborn Avery was, and for her own sake.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" JJ asked once again, twirling around in the doorway to face the blonde. She playfully rolled her eyes and shook her head lightly. He sighed, "I can stay, I don't have to go. We can stay here and-"

"Stop acting like you would willingly chose me over a party full of beer and girls" She snorted a laugh and gave him a weak nudge, making him step backwards and over the threshold.

"Shut up, you know I would chose you over everything else. Okay, maybe not weed, I'd have to think about that one" His lips tugged into a smile as he watched her scoff, grasping his biceps and turning him around.

"Come on, Maybank, go do what you do best and enjoy the party" Avery grinned goofily. She had missed the boy's usual attics more than she had thought.

"Avery-"

"JJ," She cut him off, letting out a sigh as he turned around with a familiar look in his eyes. Avery crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back against the doorframe, "I know you don't want to leave because of what happened. I get it. But you don't have anything to worry about. I'll be here when you get back, ready to baby your lame drunk self. Okay?"

"Okay" He mumbled, trying his best to trust her and convince himself to leave before the trio left without him.

A smile spread across her face, Avery let him drag her into his embrace. She felt his chest fall as his long breath tickled her face and left a trail of goosebumps down her neck. Hugging back, she wished that they could stay in the moment for a little longer but John B spammed the horn, causing them to break apart and Avery finally shoved JJ down the porch stairs. She waved them off, standing on the edge of the porch against the banister as the hippie van slowly rolled out the driveway.