XXXIV. ARREST

CHAPTER THIRTY FOURArrest‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
Arrest

(PRESENT)

Heyward's seafood shop was probably a risky move but Avery had no where else to go.

"Hey, Pope," Mr Heyward called out. The teenagers stop conversing about the fight last night and looked up to see the man walking in. "Someone's here to see you"

"Evening, Officer" Pope uttered out.

Everything went in slow motion as soon as Shoupe announced having an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Avery became overly aware of her heartbeat, hearing it thumping against her chest at the sight of Pope being forced into handcuffs. The commotion began and she didn't know what to do.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward loudly asked, being ignored by the deputy.

Her body flinched at the sound of JJ's voice, the blond boy unintentionally shoved her forwards to get past her. Avery snapped back to reality and rushed after her friends, shouting at Shoupe. She felt anger bubble up inside her as she pushed her way through to Pope. Blocking the path, Avery caused the boy to halt.

"Pope, hey. It's going to be okay, alright? It's gonna be fine," She kept her voice settled but tears still balanced on her waterline. An officer grabbed her arm and pulled her out the way. "Hey! Get off of me!"

"Don't touch her, man!" JJ yelled, tensing up at the sight of Avery being handled. He was about to storm towards the officer when Heyward held him back.

Her head whipped around to the blond boy, connecting their eyes. She felt her heart stop for a split second at the look in his eyes, one that was familiar and hated. Feeling her lips quiver, Avery struggled to hold back her tears. She yanked her arm out of the officer's grip and sped over towards JJ.

"Don't you think about it–"

"It wasn't him!" JJ ignored her and shouted out. He avoided her begging gaze, knowing that if he looked back at her, he wouldn't be able to do it. "It was me"

"JJ, stop. Please, there's gotta be another way" She whispered harshly, clenching her jaw and blinked up at him. The boy ignored her again and stepped around her, his touch ghosted her waist but he fought the urge to touch her and continued to walk.

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit," JJ convincingly said, "I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You've got too much to lose"

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope grumbled, staring at him with wide eyes.

"I'm tellin' the truth," The blond boy let out a airy chuckle, the corner of his lip quirking. "For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat too"

"J, stop!" Avery cried out.

"JJ, come on" Pope pleaded. His eyes flickered over towards Avery, frowning at the sight of her glossy eyes and fiddling hands.

"Just shut up!" JJ snapped, strictly looking at Pope. He turned away, "Just shut up. He's a good kid. You know where I'm from. This was all me"

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe directed the question to Pope. The boy stared between the deputy and Avery, who was distanced, watching her shaking her head at him softly.

"Whole truth, swear to God" JJ answered for his friend. Avery wanted to scream at him so desperately but something was holding her back and she hated it.

"I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope" Shoupe snapped and looked back at the Heyward boy.

He stared at JJ for a long second before caving, dropping his eyes, "that about covers it"

"No, stop. JJ, stop it!" Avery blurted out and rushed forwards.

A whimper slipped through her lips as she pushed Shoupe, making him stumble into the side of the police car. He didn't retaliate and that annoyed her. Avery continued to weakly hit the man's shoulder, begging for him to listen to her. Yet, he didn't, instead, he continued to remove the cuffs from Pope's wrists and turn towards JJ, who was already holding out his wrists.

"Avery, come on. Stop!" Pope gently pleaded, wrapping his arm around her waist to tug her back. He managed to get her out of arms reach, allowing Shoupe to lock the cuffs around JJ's wrists, and pulled her close to his chest.

"You can't do this!" She yelled, shoving Pope away but he was quick to grab her again.

Watching JJ duck into the vehicle, Avery felt her heartstrings pull. She slowly stopped thrusting around, afraid to hurt Pope who held onto her and she felt herself getting flustered. Her cheeks were tinted pink and nostrils still flared slightly. She pushed herself out of her friends arms and stumbled a little, staring at the car window.

No matter how much he wanted to look up, JJ refused to. He couldn't bare to see what he had caused, especially to Avery. It wasn't his intention. He couldn't stand back and let Pope lose everything. Unlike him, JJ didn't have a lot to lose. Although now he realised, expect the Creed girl that he cared about more than anyone else.

He just hoped that whatever he just walked into, he could get out of as soon as possible and come back to her, like they always do.

AUTHORS NOTE!
just realised how well this story is doing and makes me so happy to know people are enjoying it. thank you for the love and support. am trying to keep updated and motivated :)