XXXI. JEALOUSY

CHAPTER THIRTY ONEJealousy‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
Jealousy

(PRESENT)

Avery rarely lost her composure. But when she did, it was hard to bottle back up.

"JJ Maybank!" Her voice echoed through the wooden scenery. The blond boy spun around at the sound of his name, his gun was loosely held in his palm and earmuffs hung around his neck.

The previous wave of anger washed over him, his features softened at the sight of his best friend. Although it didn't take him long to notice the fury hiding behind her green eyes and her stroppy posture. She ungracefully stomped over to him, hissing a string of curses as she stumbled on a few twigs.

About to speak up, JJ was cut off by her speaking up first, "they took John B"

"What?" JJ was completely baffled on what she was talking about.

"They took him, the social workers. I got back and they were already there. And we couldn't escape. Mr. Big Fat Head almost killed him and made him surrender. Now he's gone and I don't know what will happen or where he'll go–"

"Hey, Aves, look at me" JJ cooed and walked closer. He outstretched his arms but she abruptly stepped back and shook her head vigorously at him before he could grasp her.

"Fuck!" She screamed, startling the blond boy. Avery huffed and plonked herself down on the tree stump, running a hand through her hair. "He- he was asking for a emancipation. I could have given on, surely! I could have– I don't know, I could've married him and then–"

"Married him?" JJ pursed his lips together, stopping his top lip from curling. He played off the bitter feeling with a forced chuckle, "you were going to marry John B?"

"Yeah– I mean, no, but yes. I don't know!" She whined, hiding her face in her hands as she let out a long sigh, mentally counting down from ten.

"We aren't older enough to legally marry. It wouldn't have worked, Avery," He kept a smile on his face, biting down on his lip. "Plus, why John B?"

"Are you not listening to what I'm saying? He was just threatened with foster care" She snarled and lifted her head from her hands, gesturing frantically.

"I was listening, I'm just–"

"–Being jealous" She blurted out, raising her eyebrows at the boy. He was taken by surprise at her remark, blinking blankly at her.

"Jealous?" He let out a dry, short laugh, "I don't know what this has to do with me. I don't even have a reason to be jealous. Look, go on! Go find John B, do whatever with him, I don't care!"

"See!" She grinned, although it wasn't out of joy, more like disbelief. Avery pointed accusingly at him, "that's exactly what I'm talking about! You are jealous!"

"I don't know what you are talking about!" He raised his voice at her, waving his hands around. She didn't flinch as she notched closer to him, even in an aggravated state, she trusted him.

She palmed him in the chest and scoffed a laugh, "okay, yeah, fine. I'll go and find him. We can kiss and make up, and can't wait to tell everyone else about how crazy we are for each other and–"

As she spoke, acting like she was enjoyed that thought of her and John B with a dreamy smile on her lips and battering eyelashes, Avery began taking steps back. She was about to twirl around and make him believe her when a hand grabbed her wrist and yanked her back, causing her to tumble onto his chest. She shoved him away and regained her balance, not being able to shake his hold.

"Just admit it" She challenged.

"I thought I had made it obvious," JJ confessed. He knew that Avery could read people easily, she was a good judge of character. Especially him, out of all the people, she knew him better than anyone else. He gently tugged her closer to him, "what will happen if I confess?"

His blue eyes gazed down at her lips. They were parted and with every breath she released, stray hairs danced, tickling his chin. It was only for a split second, maybe not even that long, but Avery noticed it. They both realised their proximity. Neither of them would usually be bothered by how close they stood, yet, something had shifted within them.

There was an overwhelming urge to kiss him. Avery silently battled with that thought. She couldn't, he was her best friend. They never had crossed that line, it was like a unspoken rule. Unnecessary one because they were just friends. Why would they kiss if they were only friends, nothing more? So many thoughts circled her mind.

She hadn't admitted it to herself but she had feelings for her best friend.

"I don't know" Avery whispered, her eyes staring back at his. She could feel his grip slowly loosen around her wrist but her feet wouldn't budge.

"That's why I shouldn't," He gravelly uttered. "This isn't something I'm willing to lose. Not again, not like this either"

AUTHORS NOTE!happy new year! i hope everyone had a fun and safe new beginning last night

AUTHORS NOTE!
happy new year! i hope everyone had a fun and safe new beginning last night. write those resolutions and hug those around you, and keep shining so bright. every day is a new day, you have another 365 of them to live.

this chapter has to be far up there with my favourites so far. it was a spontaneous idea that sprung onto me and got me writing and writing. at first i wasn't sure if it was right, if it was too out of story or character for javery but i also couldn't bring myself to rewrite it and it grew on me ;)