XXXII. SECRETS

CHAPTER THIRTY TWOSecrets ‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO
Secrets

(PRESENT)

The last thing Avery wanted to do was go to an outdoor cinema.

For the past few days, when they weren't preoccupied by treasure hunting, Kiara had been begging to the annual movie in the park. She and Avery used to go when they were younger, before things got complicated, and the thought of it still happening made Kiara happy.

"Keep clam. Carry on" The brunette girl happily said. "Back to OBX life. You know? Aren't you guys glad I made you come?"

"Ecstatic" Pope sarcastically replied. Not only was he obsessively worrying about Topper and his Kook friends, but he also had noticed the tension between the two blonde's.

"My couch was pretty comfy. If I'm honest" JJ mumbled.

While the two boys set up the chairs, Kiara asked if Avery wanted to come with her to get some drinks from the stand. The offer caught her off guard but she nodded and followed nevertheless. The Carrera girl glanced over at her old friend, studying her as they fell in step and wondered to the stands.

"Look, I know we aren't that close. And I'm working on that. But are you okay?" Kiara softly asked, a genuine worry and curiosity took her over at the full look on Avery's face.

The blonde snapped her head up and looked over at her, doe eyed, "uh, yeah. I'm fine, how are you?"

"I'm good, thanks," She replied, unable to stop the giggle that fell out her mouth. Kiara frowned at her, "that was a bullshit answer. Your nose twitched"

Avery muttered something inaudible under her breathe. She let out a sigh, "it's complicated"

"Again, I know we aren't as close but like I said, I'm trying. So, this, right now, is me trying. You can still talk to me" Kiara lightly nudged her  elbow into Avery's, making her crack a smile.

They waited behind a couple in the very short queue. Kiara reached into her back pocket to fish out the dollar bills, stepping to the front as the pair collected their purchases and walked away. She spoke up politely, "hey, uh, can I get three Pepsis, please?"

Catching the look Kiara gave her, Avery caved and whined a little before opening up, "alright, fine. Um, there's this boy. Something happened between us and I don't know– things are weird already. And I'm afraid that it ruined things for like ever"

"A boy?" Kiara taunted, the corner of her lip twitched up into a smirk. "Oh okay. So, this boy. How do you feel about him? And do you think he feels the same way?"