LII. RUN

CHAPTER FIFTY THREERUN‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER FIFTY THREE
RUN

(PRESENT)

The group had everything ready to stop the plane from taking off.

All that was now missing was Avery. After her argument with Pope, no one had heard from her. JJ's worry was beginning to overflow, especially after he visited her house and no one was in. He had left a note to tell her to reach out to him and their plan, hoping he would get something from her. However, he still had nothing.

Time was tight and as much as he hated himself for it, they didn't go to check her house on their way to the runway. The group parked behind the barriers, darting towards the wired fence to see the gold being loaded onto the plane. A car horn caused John B to direct the binoculars towards the black Range Rover.

Kira demanded to know what caused John B to pull the binoculars away from his face. He whispered, "it's Sarah"

"She's with them?" Pope whispered, unable to fully believe what he had just said.

"Wait a minute," John b mumbled, looking through them again to see Ward handling Sarah. "He's hurting her. They're fighting"

Within seconds, Kira had snatched the binoculars from John B, seeing what he was seeing. The boy was quick to act, rushing to get back into the van. He ignored his friends yelling and continued to accelerate, pushing his foot on the peddle as hard as he could, heading towards the fence. The van had enough momentum to crash against the fence and knock it, bumping over it as a speed.

The car came to a smooth stop. Avery jumped out as soon as Susan stopped the car, immediately finding John B's eyes. They held each others gaze, silently communicating as she walked closer.

"Oh, thank God you're here" Ward sighed, pointing to John B. "Susan, I told you he had lost his goddamn mind.

"Put your hands on your head" The sheriff demanded.

"I'd do what she said, kid" Ward smirked over at John B.

"She's talking to you, Ward," Avery bitterly said, almost smiling at the sight of his smile falling. "Do what she says"

"You are under the arrest of the murder of 'Big John' Routledge" Susan calming said, pointing her gun towards him.

"Are you kidding me?" Ward mumbled, staring at Susan.

"Put your hands above your head" She repeated.

"Are you kidding me, Sue?" He said again, his voice growing louder.

"Put your hands above your head!" She shouted back. He reluctantly obeyed. "Turn around. Drop to your knees! I don't like being used"

The three teenagers watched Ward get cuffed. Avery was about to smirk in relief that he had finally been caught when Ward fought back, pulling himself away from her before the second cuff could wrap around his wrist. Susan quickly stepped back, pushing Avery out the way and closer to the car, and grabbed her gun.

A gunshot suddenly shot through the air, making Avery flinch and close her eyes. Silence followed and made her peel open her eyes, seeing a wound on Susans back. She gasped and felt her throat tighten, the backs of her eyes began to burn. John B frantically looked over to his best friend, scanning her whole body to ensure that she hadn't taken the bullet.

"No! No!" Avery screamed, causing all the tears to fall from her eyes. She crumpled against the car, watching Susan fall to her knees.

"Rafe, what did you do?" Ward uttered, staring wide eyed up at his son. Avery hardly looked his way, not wanting to face him.

"No!" Avery cried, dragging herself up from the ground. She stumbled over to Susan, lifting her body onto her lap.

Rafe let out a airy laugh, "I saved you, dad. I saved you"

John B rushed to aid Susan, using his bandana to stop the bleeding as best as he could. Her body was twitching, growing heavier on Avery's lap. The blonde whimpered, shaking her head as she helped John B applying pressure on the wound. John B rested his forehead against hers, feeling her melt into his touch.

Susan wheezed, "call! Call for help!"

As soon as Avery picked up the radio attached to the uniform, Ward and Rafe began yelling. Rafe redirected the gun form John B's head to Avery's, inching closer to the girl. She wasn't afraid of him, she narrowed her watery eyes at him and pressed the button, hearing it fizzle with static.

Ward desperately attempted to ease his son, stepped closer to them. He looked Avery in the eyes and couched, "Give me the radio, sweetheart"

"No" John B gritted his teeth, carefully watching Ward's every move.

"Come on, give me the radio" Ward softly spoke, slowly prying the radio out of her blood stained fingers before reassuring Rafe and encouraging him to lower the gun.

"Run!" Susan gasped.

"I'm not leaving you" Avery frantically shook her head and held onto Susan's hand a little tighter.

"Run" She hissed again.

"I'm sorry" John B whispered, directly his words to Avery more than anyone else.

"No, Johnny, no!" She whimpered, quickly reaching out to grab him as he stood up. She watched him slowly walk backwards, never looking away from her eyes. Avery let out a sob, watching her friend break out in a sprint.

Watching Sarah push herself against her father, Avery felt a burning anger inside her. She gently set Peterkins down before rising to her feet. She smacked Rafe's hands, causing the gunshot to fall out of aim and miss. Rafe twirled around and lifted the gun towards her. Sarah cried out as Ward grabbed his son, holding his hands down and his body against him, fighting against his thrashing movements.

"Run, Avery!" Sarah screamed.