XIII. GUN AND CASH

CHAPTER THIRTEENGun and Cash‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Gun and Cash

(PRESENT)

Pope's words circled her mind.

With a hard stare, Avery watched JJ play with the gun they had discovered in the safe. She was actually relieved that it had opened, listening to John B poking random number patterns were beginning to make her want to shove his torch up his backside. It was a surprise to see multiple stacks of money piled up with a SIG Sauer resting on top.

"Sure, let's just make our own incriminating evidence. Sounds like a good idea, J" Avery sarcastically said. She was standing next to John B, wearing a similar expression as the blond posed with the gun in front of them.

"Wait, what was that?" JJ ignored her comment, watching John B rush past him and peek through the blinds. "What?"

"Shit" the brunet cursed quietly, jumping over the bed to the front window.

Avery instinctively reached out for JJ, tightly wrapping her fingers around his forearm. A knot twisted in her stomach as she watched her friend sneakily peer through the other blind, eventually whispering the one thing she definitely didn't want to hear. As if on cue, there was a loud knock at the door. The teenagers panicked and started to scatter around the room.

"Kildare Country Sheriff's Department!" A voice yelled.

"This is so fucking stupid" Avery mumbled. She could feel JJ's hands on her waist and gently nudging her on as she climbed out the window, carefully stepping onto the thin ledge that luckily sat underneath the window ledge.

The trio found themselves pressed up against the white bricked wall. Avery's heart was pounding and her chest heaved, making it hard to steady her heavy breathing. One of JJ's arms were wrapped around her waist, his fingers considerately digging into her stomach. He had pulled her close, tucking and keeping her at his side. John B balanced on the other side, cautiously peering through the wonky blind.

Avery scrunched up her face and rested her head against the wall, feeling JJ's hot breath fanning her face. Reluctantly, she peeled open her eyes and gazed up at him, watching him gesture towards Pope and Kiara, who were holding down the boat and intensely watching, staying quiet and low-key.

He met her eyes and mouthed, "I got you, Flower"

As he awkwardly repositioned his arm around her, tugging her closer to him, the gun dropped from his waistband. The cluck made the group cringe. Avery sharply inhaled and subconsciously held her breath, burying her face into JJ's tense shoulder.