XXXV. VISTING

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVEVisiting‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE
Visiting

(PRESENT)

Luke Maybank was the last person she wanted to see.

Avery froze in her steps at the sight of the man. Standing in wore blue jeans, a no-longer-white tank top with a blue shirt over it. Her fist immediately balled at her side. She tilted her chin up and stared hard at the man, observing his every move. He was leaned over the front desk, watching the duties wonder around on the other side.

It was rare that the two crossed paths. JJ did everything he possibly could to keep Avery out of his father's reach. She knew about the man, and how cruel and vile he was.

Ever since eight year old JJ climbed through her window one night in hysterics and with a busted lip, she had known about his home life. She was forced to stand back and watch as things progressed. All she could do was be there for JJ whenever he needed her, and to clean his wounds.

Feeling her eyes on him, Luke turned his head to connect their eyes. As soon as he looked back at her, she dropped her eyes to the ground. Her hands tightened around the bunch of flowers she held in one hand.

Luckily for her, unfortunately for him, JJ stepped out of the room and reluctantly stood next to his father, keeping some distance. As he glanced up at the man, his blue eyes recognised Avery standing a few feet away.

An officer approached the girl, drawing her attention away from her best friend. She stuttered and explained that she was here to drop something off for Peterkins. Forcing a smile, she tolerated the small talk, struggling to stop her eyes from drifting.

"I'll take you to her office" The man kindly offered, curtly nodding.

"Uh, that would be great. Thank you" She quickly said. Her eyes were trained on JJ who was obviously avoiding her.

Just before she moved her feet to follow the officer, Luke bellowed and got JJ moving. He hesitated before looking up from his feet and found her gaze, trying his best to reassure her with only his eyes. She couldn't quite cipher what he was trying to convey.

As he passed her, JJ felt her hand brush against his. Purposely slowing down, only for a couple steps, he twitched his fingers to delicately latch onto hers for a second or two. Even though it was for a ephemeral moment, it was enough for her to feel his trembles and it made her heart ache unbearably.

"Just this way" The officers voice snapped her back. Her hand falling away from JJ's as he was pushed out the door.

"Miss Creed, what do I owe this pleasure?" Peterkin said with a faint smile, stepping around her desk.